Chapter 22

"Lethal Confirmation"

     The air within my office is heavy - silent

     The air within my office is heavy - silent. My ocean irises haven't released the view of my Rescue Wall, yet. It's blue and red stringed surface has been untouched and unrevised over the past month.

I created this wall to help those of my city. To take down the bad guys. It became a prominent vow.

Yet recently, I have been consumed by an unfamiliar anger - hatred. The skilled and focused detective that I use to be has slipped from my fingertips.

I've replaced seeking justice with a vengeful darkness that has surged my veins since the day I lost Callum.

I can't let that happen anymore. And although there's still a scorching anger that courses me, that will probably permeate my being forever, I have to fight it.

Remaining stood, Vince's deep voice fluxes into my head - I know to grasp it.

It's what you decide to do with that anger that affects those around you.

I part my lips for a soft intake of breath.

Today will be different. I will be different.

I walk over to take the door handle of my office door into my grip, before exhaling a breath and stepping out.

The silent air that once permeated my office instantly dissipates, as the all too familiar sound of incessant phone lines ringing and dispatch walkie talkies being set off takes it's course.

The sound of my white heals clicking against the polished tiled floor is barely audible amongst the Station's chaos.

I'm sure to stop by the coffee stand to fix me a warm mug of satisfaction, before my shift really begins.

Taking the cup into my hands, I spot Delilah seated behind the reception desk. I feel my pink lips quirk up from the sight of my close friend. Her straight midnight black hair is pinned up into a tight ponytail - her forest green specks are deeply focusing on the computer screen before her while she vestures a pair of glasses.

Once I stop in front of the desk's oak surface, Delilah must pick up on the strong aroma of coffee in my hold.

"Caffeine," she blurts rather obsessively. Her green eyes widen just before she snaps out of her focus - she meets my gaze.

Delilah removes her set of reading glasses from her face - soon delivering my standing figure a quick once over whilst I prop a hand on my hip.

In a dark blue fitting short dress, I grin, watching wide-eyed Delilah evidently wake up a bit.

"You're surely dressed up..." she remarks, perching up a questionable brow.