Chapter 1

10 years ago

My friend Aidan and I were running towards the ice cream truck, or rather, he was dragging me by the hand, my cheeks flushed. I've had a crush on him since forever but I didn't want to ruin our friendship, so I never told him... And now I regret it.

When we got there, he asked the lady for 2 ice cream cones, a chocolate chip cookie dough and a mint chocolate chip, both in cones. He knew me so well, he knew my flaws, my favorite foods, colors... Everything. And I knew everything about him too.

He paid the lady and handed me the mint chocolate chip ice cream.

"I still don't understand what's so tasty about that ice cream," he chuckled while we both started eating our ice creams.

"No idea," I laughed.

We saw our parents looking for us on the streets and immediately thought we were in trouble since the money Aidan used to pay for the ice cream cones was kind of borrowed from his mom. Well... stolen, if you want the truth.

We hid behind a parked car, scared for our lives.

"Aidan! (y/n)! Come out! We know you took money without permission to buy ice cream, come out of your hiding places now!" Aidan's mom screamed.

"We won't hurt you! We promise, just come out wherever you are!" Screamed my mom.

Aidan looked at me worried and came out from the back of the car to face our angry moms.

"Okay, I'm sorry. I had the idea to eat ice cream because we don't like the food there is at home and stole money from you, mom." I heard Aidan say. "But (y/n) didn't have anything to do with this, please ma'am don't punish her." He told my mom while I came out from our hiding spot.

"It's very brave and loyal from you, Aidan, but (y/n) still has to face the consequences." My mom said.

I looked at Aidan with sadness and he looked at me with disappointment and sorry on his face.

"Don't be too harsh on her, please, I'm always the one dragging her around into a big mess." He said again, turning to my mom.

That's not completely true, since I had the idea to buy ice cream and steal the money, but it's not completely false either, since he usually drags me into bigger problems than this one. Mostly at the supermarket or even at the shopping center. You can already get an idea of what we do.

"Alright fine. One week without TV." My mom said to me.

"Yes, mom," I said, apologetically, my head bowed.

"And as for you, young man," Aidan's mom started, "you'll be grounded for a month. You should know by now that stealing isn't right."

"Yes, mom. I'm very sorry." He told her.

"Apology accepted." She said. "Now come on, let's head back and forget about all this." We started walking back.

"Hey, Aidan," started his mom, "remember that audition for that Nickelodeon show?"

"Yeah, what about it?" He said.

"Well, I received a call and you're in!"

"Really?!" His face lit up.

"Wow! I'm so proud of you, Aidan! I knew you were gonna get the role!" I said while we grabbed hands and jumped together.

"Um... There's something we haven't told you, kids..." His mom said. Both our moms looked worried.

"What?" We both said in unison.

"We'd have to move to LA, that's where they'll film it." She said again.

"But... We will come back, right?" Aidy said, his face dropping.

"No, son. We won't." His mom answered.

I felt crushed. My best friend almost since we were born, was going to leave me. Tears started forming in my eyes and running down my cheeks. I looked over at Aidan and saw him crying too.

"When are we leaving then?" He asked his mom, not turning away from me.

"Tonight." His mom answered.

He started sobbing and hugged me very tightly. I hugged him very tightly too.

But after some minutes, my mom touched my shoulder and said:

"We shall leave dear. Your dad's waiting for us."

"I don't wanna leave Aidy," I sobbed.

"I know sweetheart," my mom crouched down next to me, "but friends always support each other no matter what. Don't you think that right now it's best for the both of you to support each other? It's best if you celebrate the fact that Aidan finally got the chance to fulfill his dreams?"

"Fulfill?" I sniffed, looking at my mom.

"Achieving, finally being able to become an actor like he always wanted," my mom smiled at me.

"I guess you're right," I looked ahead of me, my head still on Aidy's shoulder, "I just didn't want him to leave."

"I didn't want to leave you either," Aidan cried with me.

"I promise that you guys will see each other again as soon as possible," Aidan's mom had interfered.

"You'd do that, miss Gallagher?" I looked at her.

"Of course." She got closer. "You guys Can never be separated. Too bad you guys don't have a friendship token, like a bracelet maybe."

I felt Aidan think for a second.

"Whenever we can be together again," I heard Aidy say, "I'll get you a very important friendship bracelet."

"I'll cherish it forever."

We cried for a longer while until my mom told me it was getting late and Aidan had to leave, as well as my mom and I.

"Okay," I sobbed, "goodbye Aidan." My mom and I turned around to head to our house.

"(y/n)!" Aidan shouted. I turned around to face him. "I promise I will never forget you." He said, stretching his pinkie finger out. Secret handshake.

"I swear that no matter what, we will find each other eventually, I'll find you again and we will be together forever. I will not forget you." We swore in unison, making our secret handshake.

"Goodbye, (y/n)." He said.

"It's not a goodbye, it's just a see you soon," I said, smiling warmly.

"See you soon." He said, and we both went our separate ways.