Street Basketball

6 years ago....

                                                                       Seijuro's Childhood

"For most children, they'd find it smart to keep away from the creepy street players, brats." Seijuro Akashi stepped back at the threatening tone the big, tall man had used and immediately looked at the red-haired girl beside him. They were both rather short, even for 10 year olds.

The girl didn't waver and stood her ground, "Really? Is that so, Mister? Why can't we play?" Akashi looked at her and tried to convince her to leave with him but she didn't budge. She loved basketball and her mother didn't allow her to play in an official game; street basketball was the only option available. "And I need a decent reason too."

She and the man had a staring contest and the stranger was quite impressed and pleased with the fire burning in her miss matched eyes, "I like your guts, kid. You know what? I'll give you a chance. You two are young so I'll let you use the small court. Get the ball in the hoop two times, one for each of ya, and I'll let you join." The hoop was indeed small and the mans team was really surprised to see their leader giving strangers the chance to join the group!

As they were introduced to the children's court, the girl turned to Akashi, her eyes sparkling. "See this, Sei-kun? We're getting the chance to be in basketball!" Akashi couldn't restrain himself either. He may have been nervous before but that was because the man was so intimidating. He was beside himself with joy now that the other obstacle was passed!

"Yes! Thank you, Shuiro-chan!" The one thing they both enjoyed more than anything else, Akashi and his twin sister, Shuiro Akashi, was basketball. The squeak of the shoes against the court. The sweat pouring down their faces. The swish of the net when the ball went in effortlessly. It made them so restless. Shuiro especially. The red-haired girl fell in love with the sport the moment she laid eyes on it and managed to share this love with her little brother.

Now Shuiro had the light, round ball in her hands. She juggled it around, getting used to it before she measured the hoop. Such intelligence for such a young child, so experienced. Even since she could use her brain properly, it was focused on basketball.

She watched the NBA every night, cheering incoherent words when a player would do something marvellous, chatting about it whenever someone would talk to her. It was what made her whole. Basketball. Of course, her mother was convinced it was a phase and that she, along with Sei, would grow out of it but they only managed to grow into it, loving it even more than before.

The leader threw a worn out basketball at Shiki who caught it with surprising ease. She juggled it around and tested it once more before a gleeful smile made her look innocent, "Perfect!" The leader chuckled at her enthusiasm and the group watched.

It was rare for their leader to allow a child, let alone one he had no relation to. There were children on the team but they were related to him somehow, but they had to pass the consecutive scoring test as well. He must have seen some sort of potential otherwise they'd be shooed away when they asked.

Shuiro examined the hoop, calculating the distance and the amount of force necessary. With a deep inhale, Shuiro decided for a formless shot, 'Here goes nothing...' She thought as the anxiety finally made itself known, but it didn't have time to provoke her because she threw the ball. It flew in a high arc and with her calculating eyes, Shuiro could see the ball going in already.

Which was the cause for her early celebration, "Yes!" She cheered, throwing her hands in the air. Some of the people around her were a little annoyed at her early celebration, but didn't say anything as they heard the net swish and the ball bounce ferociously on the ground.