Chapter 15

It had been over a week since I had started working for Vinn and it was just carefree work. I did a lot of traveling around with him, signing paperwork, making phone calls. It was starting to come naturally, being that I had never done any secretary work or otherwise in my life so I felt pretty good. Today was new for me because we would be meeting a patient that was trying out some of the new technology that his company had come up with. The ride to the hospital was quiet, he read over some papers in the limo occasionally he would glance up at me, and I would smile lightly. He seemed very passionate about his company, but also the impact that his company made around the world.

I stepped out and the driver held my hand. Today was a simple day, white blouse, dark jeans, and dark black boots. My hair was sticking up in a bun, and I carried a work bag and all of the essentials. I smiled on our way up the stairs at the people coming and going. Once inside we rode the elevator to the twentieth floor which housed a rehabilitation center. I could see people from all walks of life with various injuries doing various things. Some were working with men and women in uniforms and others were working hard on their own. Vinn walks around greeting everyone, and they act like they have known him all of their lives.

I greet them as well waving and smiling, and as I watch him interact with everyone I begin to see the wall slightly dissolve. I have to admit that I am somewhat impressed with him and I can't get that thought out of my head. I briefly wonder if Orion really cared about anything, but I quickly dismiss the thought, he was no longer a part of my life so no need to linger on stupid facts such as that. At long last we arrived at a room on the other side of the space, and it looks slightly dark. I'm shocked as a blur of color and bouncy hair whizzes past me and a little girl wraps her arms around him.

"Vinn! I knew you would come back. Can I show you what I learned?"

He laughs and then nods in her direction and she excitedly stands a couple of feet away. I was so caught up in the moment that I barely noticed that she was a double amputee, and she does a back flip landing upright but wincing in pain as she does. He begins to clap and her smile grows wider and she once again runs up to him with a speed I would have thought she would have been incapable of.

"Very good Yessica. I am so proud, I don't think if I was in your situation that I could have done it."

"You're just trying to make me feel better that's all."

"No it is true, you are a strong girl and I am glad that I met you."

I am so lost in thought that I barely notice her tiny eyes are analyzing me head to toe now, and I swallow hard at her next question.

"Is she your new girlfriend? She's pretty. Can I go out to do with her stuff sometimes like we do?"

His shoulders stiffen I presume from the fact that he was going against his own policies by spending time with her unbeknownst to everyone else.

"Yes she is indeed beautiful," he says, his eyes boring into me.

"We will see about that when she has time. Deal?"

"Deal! So why are you here?"

*****

I looked on in amazement as she tries on her new electronic prosthesis. It kind of makes me think of a robot, but the beautiful pink hue was off putting in a good way. Apparently he had these made just for her and she was the first one to try them. His company had indeed far advanced ahead of anyone else. She smiled brightly happy with her new editions giving him a high five. After he was done talking to some official looking men we were on our way. I felt happy inside, I wasn't sure why but today's experience had definitely left an impact on me.