Chapter 9

It was the very next day. I did my usual shift at the Diner, Hailey was in school, and the aid was taking care of mom. I couldn't help the growing excitement that was welling up inside me as the day inched closer and closer to my meeting with Orion. I thought about what I would wear down to the very last detail. Hailey would be out again, and there was a possibility that mom would have dinner with us tonight.

Finally my shift came to a close, and I hugged Cana goodnight. I headed home, unlocking the door. I walked inside leaving my shoes by the door, but soon I grew suspicious. Delightful smells wafted from the kitchen. Apple, cinnamon, savory cooking cream, and more. I walked into the kitchen and nearly coughed up my lungs. There in the kitchen was my mom, she moved extremely slow but her smile was big.

Standing in an apron was Orion. He looked up at me in the doorway, setting down a spoon. He walked towards me, and I nearly fainted. I was sweaty and who knows what else. My hair was sticking out in every direction, and I had grease stains on my uniform. I nervously waited as he stepped around the island, attempting to smooth down my hair. He stopped in front of me, not smiling yet I could see the amusement in his eyes.

"I thought I'd surprise you and get things going. I also made a promise to you. I was speaking with your lovely mother."

I stared in awe as she sat down. It was the first time she actually wanted to be up since everything happen. She had the hugest smile on her face, and it warmed my heart just a little. I sat down my bags walking over to mom. She reached out her arms as I walked towards her.

"Totally fan girling over here. See? I told you he was perfect for you."

I laughed hugging her tight.

"That was a silly fantasy mom."

"Yet here he is in my living room of all places."

"It's a pleasure to be here with such a intelligent woman such as your daughter." he said, turning to look at me.

"You to get cleaned up, I'll be here. Your mom was just about to teach me how to make her famous peach cobbler."

*****

Yamina had walked in with her sweaty hair and apron. I could tell she felt self conscious by how tense she was, but she had no reason to be. She looked even more stunning in her natural state. Of course, I was imagining her wearing only the apron but a man can dream. As she walked away I turned to her mother who was just as beautiful. Her brown skin glowing like the afternoon sun.

"So Orion, what really brings you here?" Her mother says.

"I heard that you had been sick, and decided it would be an honor to drop by and see you and your daughter was one of my best employees." I broke Jaws just for people blinking wrong." She said, waving a wooden spoon.

I started to object and say it was nothing like that, but she was having none of it.

"Now hand me those peaches so I can show you how it's done."
*****

It was about forty-five minutes later, I had freshened up, put my hair in a bun, and found my wackiest T-shirt and some old sweat pants. Two tendrils of hair hung down on either side of my head. I slipped on some old sneakers, and then I made my way down stairs. Delightful smells wafted up, and acute noses ran in my family.

I opened the kitchen door to find them cooking away. I saw greens, yams, mac and cheese, gravied pork chops, sautéed lamb, cornbread, and rolls. I sniffed each dish and a delightful smile spread across my face. Orion was eyeing me in a weird way, but this time I could tell he was in awe. Clearly he never expected me to be in sweat pants around him. Well I was just that girl, what you see is what you get.