Chapter 12

"Can you even believe that he said that?" I ask my best friend.

"Men say a lot of things. But sounds like he really likes you. I mean no one makes Orion mad. You seem to get under his skin," Cana says in a hushed tone.

"What is with him? Now that I think about it this whole situation is extremely strange. I mean he was my boss, but him following me here, that whole situation with the flowers, maybe I should be scared of him,"

She chuckles softly on the other side of the line and I can hear her shuffle around as she moves around in bed.

"Honestly I think he likes you. I mean doesn't it seem obvious? The flowers, giving you the job, coming here, the time he took your daughter out. It all seems like a romance story to me."

"Or, it sounds like some kind of sick Lifetime thriller where the crazy psychotic boss murders his ex secretary because he's a nut job."

      "You have a wild imagination you know that?"

       "Says the person that opened a Diner in the middle of nowhere," I say.

     She laughs lightly and I yawn.

     "Goodnight Cana."

****

      I sat in the room with the flowers I had bought her withering away on the night stand. The petals began to shrink and crumble and I hadn't bothered to put them in water. What was I thinking anyways? Besides that I was just doing the right thing by trying to apologize wasn't I? I had bought flowers for many occasions, but this wasn't special was it? I did hand pick each flower myself, but that didn't mean anything did it?

     I had wanted to call her several times but refrained from doing so. I wasn't desperate, and I damn sure didn't chase women. There was something about her that was different. I didn't see that glimmer in her eyes, the fan girl expression, the open attraction that so many women displayed. No she was a mystery. Every look genuine, every action meaningful, usually women were all over me and here was a woman who is treating me dare I say it? Normal.

     I had come to the conclusion that my time here was done. There was no reason for me to be here. I wasn't even sure why I had shown up in the first place. What did I think was going to happen? She was going to come back and be my secretary and then what? I needed to ease my mind. I couldn't believe my current state. I couldn't bring myself to call another woman, or even just swipe one out of town.

      It felt like I was in highschool all over again as I took out my frustration by myself. All the while the only thing on my mind was her. Her smile, her curly hair, her uncertain gestures, her hard work ethic, her values and beliefs. I had no idea a woman could be so attractive in so many ways. As I released over and over I felt a rush I hadn't ever felt before, and I vowed to myself hours later after beating myself into the ground to get every thought of her out of mind. My breathing was ragged and chest heaving as sweat poured off of my body I convinced myself that it was enough. It was enough to make me let go of whatever silly connection I had with her and get back to my own life. But as I drifted off to sleep something deep down stirred and dared defy my wishes.
******
     "He's leaving?" I asked slightly shocked.

     "That's the talk of the town anyways, I heard it from Mary at the post office. She says he came in requesting some packages be shipped because he had a flight to catch," Cana says all the while picking up supplies.

     "Wow well I guess he's off to go do what he does. Good riddance I suppose."

     "Isn't that exactly what you wanted?" she asks, looking me in my eyes.

     "Yeah I guess it is. Maybe he wasn't a crazy stalker after all."

     It was sometime later that he came again. His blonde hair stood out like a beacon on the ocean. He was dressed normal in a T-shirt and some jeans. It was Vinn with his hands tucked in his pocket and he walked directly up to me with what appeared to be a genuine smile on his face.

      "Yamina we meet again," he says, reaching out his hand.

      "Yes it's a small town what can I do for you today?"

     "I was actually wondering if you would accompany me around town. I'm not familiar with the area, plus I've heard amazing things about you and it would be nice to get to know you."

      "Well I think my boss needs me," I say looking over at Cana who is gesturing madly for me to get out of here.

     "Well that's settled. Come with me."

      "Okay but if you try anything you will never have children and I'll have my family kick your ass. Plus my best friend, she used to work on a farm and has the strength of ten men."

       "Oh is that so?" he asks.

     "Yeah that sounded less corny when it was inside of my head," I say slightly embarrassed.

      He leads me outside to a Limousine, and I kind of roll my eyes.

     "You don't think you can win me over with a fancy ride do you? Because if so you are mistaken."

     "Just get in the car my lady," he says shaking his head.

      "Well I mean I'm not sure this qualifies as a car," I say nervously as I get in.

     "Then what exactly is it?" he asks sitting across from me sipping champagne.

     "Hmm... A car van thingy?" I say, almost embarrassed to death that I had said it at all.

     He laughed so hard that he could barely breath.

      I start pulling the handle in order to get out, but he stops me.

     "I'm not laughing at you. You're just so free and you say whatever you want to say without hesitation."

     "Is that a bad thing?" I ask.

     "No quite the contrary. I wish there were more people like you in this world. Good people are hard to come by."

      "Well um thank you. So what exactly did you want to see in town?"

     "All of it," he says smiling brightly.

     The way he was eyeing me I wasn't sure if he was talking about the town or me. I looked down at the grease stain on my shirt. Maybe I should get grease stains on my shirt more often.

****
I had just gotten off of my flight back home so many hours later. My phone beeped, and as I walked inside my empty mansion my heart clenched. The blonde had sent me photos of Yamina and that man around town in a limo. There was even one where she was laughing and smiling.

So much for u and that whore now huh? I would suggest u beg for my forgiveness if u ever want to see me again. What did u think? Someone like her would want someone like u? She's rural trash. She doesn't deserve u. She's already out with sum1 else. Not a good look unless you're just helping her 4 publicity. U think u did some good deed by helping that whore?! Don't make me laugh!

     I sat on my bed, my mind wasn't necessarily racing. I was numb. Yes this was the feeling I was used to. This is exactly how it felt. Hell after going there I felt like a new man. Maybe it was what I needed after all. Usually there would be tons of women in one of my guest homes. But since she had came around I was too preoccupied with whatever connection I thought existed.

     I reached into my coat pocket feeling something small and square. There it was. The drawing the little girl Hailey had drawn me the night her mom had fainted. It was me, her, and her mom and a big house. At the time I didn't know what to make of it. She was just a child after all. I stared at it for awhile longer before finally climbing into bed. I tossed it to the floor like a meaningless document meant to be shredded and fell off into a deep sleep.