Chapter 18

One day to Haya's doomsday

Haya sat on the sofa in the lounge of her parent's place, waiting for Taimoor to pick her up . It was funny how somewhere she had spent all her life wasn't her home anymore. Just a few months ago, this was her ghar(home) and now it wasn't. She was tapping her foot in impatience against the hardwood floor of the lounge which creaked every time her brown slides made contact with the it. She was restless.

Last night she had decided to talk to him. And since then she had changed her decision countless time and the reverted back to the original plan of talking to him. She really was edgy and uptight , she had to talk to him before she changed her mind again. But there was no sign of him. Where the hell is he? And why is it talking so long. She thought as she stared hard at the main door as if he would miraculously appear if she glared hard. 

Ammi (mother in law) had informed her that Taimoor would pick her up when he came back home for lunch-break . It was 2 already. Why was it taking so long? Maybe it wasn't talking too long. Maybe it was just that she was waiting. And when you are waiting every second feels like an eternity. Doesn't it ? She thought as her gaze flickered to the clock that hung on the walls which like her mood right now was grey and spiritless. Why have we painted the lounge grey ? She thought .

A day at her parents' place was nice and sweet as she had missed them immensely, she was thankful . But throughout that day ,a part of her felt as if it wasn't enough. As if something was off and it  disturbed her. A lot! She felt like something precious was slipping out of her hand , like sand. Or, as if she was going to miss a train , which was going to lead her to dream place. Although she didn't want to compare, but her mind couldn't help itself. And an image of 'Geet' from 'Jab We Meet' flashed though her mind and she involuntary began comparing herself with her.

The door of the longue creaked and Haya looked up in anticipation, hoping to see his face. It only had  been a day but to her lovesick heart it felt like ages. You should have thought twice before , asking for a divorce. Ek din main itna mari ja rahi ho, divorce manganay chali the . ( It's been just a day and you are dying to have a look of him. And you wanted a divorce) Her alter ego mocked her. But Haya ,wasn't in a mood to give flying shit to what her alter bitchy ego thought.

She had missed him a lot. Yes, she had. There was no denying it. Dadi and her mother , even her brother kept mentioning Taimoor and she blamed them for forcing her to miss him. It was another lie she had told herself. That she was forced to miss him.

Coming towards her wasn't Taimoor. She knew by the sound of the footsteps that it wasn't him. Her smile which she hadn't realize was there vanished as she found herself staring at her brother , Hassan who was dangling the keys in his hands.

"Get your stuff fatty , I'll drop you at Phupho's place." He said as he sagged beside her on the sofa, dropping the keys on the coffee table, carelessly.
"Huh....." , she asked dump folded. Taimoor wasn't coming. She was disappointed. No, actually she was devastated. She was looking forward to talk to him . Rational part of her told her that she still could talk to him , when he returned from the head office in the evening. But when did she listen to her rational side. Her mind told her that it was a sign and an escape , Allah had offered her to protect herself. 

Right now, Haya was in no mood for a tug of war between her heart and mind. She was upset . Period ! And both her bitchy alter ego and the lovesick alter ego were making her more upset, besides they were giving her headache with their bickering. Since last two days there was this constant whispering of her alter egos in her head which was driving her crazy.

"What huh ? Wapis nai jana ? (Don't you want to go back?) " Hassan asked as he quirked his eyebrows at her, trying to understand her. He had expected her to explode and call him 'gadhay" (Jackass) or any insult she could think of, for calling her 'fatty'. That was to be followed by a speech , "How-she-wasn't-fat" . But she sat there staring in space, looking lost.