The One With a Phone Call

Thanks for reading and reviewing!

Words: 1,952

_________________

Rushing around her apartment, Robin holds her phone between her shoulder and her ear while picking up stray clothes. "No, Mama, I can't." She says, unable to shake her head at the risk of dropping her phone. "I've got...work." It's a poor excuse, she knows, but there isn't a better one.

"Can't you take a few days off? We haven't seen you in forever." Her mother's voice filters through the phone and Robin holds back a sigh. She loves her parents, she does, but as they say, it's complicated.

"I know, but not right now." Robin continues, balancing her laundry basket on her hip. "I just...not right now."

"Is this about Lucas?"

"No-" Robin cuts herself off with a sigh, dropping the basket to free her hand, allowing her to pinch the bridge of her nose. "It's not about Lucas, mom. Look, I miss you guys and I love you, but I just got stuff I need to focus on here for a while, okay?"

"I learned a long time ago there's no use in arguing with you when you're like this." The older woman says, drawing an eye roll Robin only did because she knows her mother can't see her. "Don't roll your eyes at me." Eyes widening comically, Robin looks around as if her mother would appear from around the corner. "Don't look so surprised, I know my daughter. We're more alike than you think."

"Right." Robin mumbles, shaking her head to herself.

"Can you at least call more? Let us know you're doing okay? I hate you living there all by yourself and with that job." Robin's mother has never been a fan of her working at the bar, never would be. The young woman was sure to never tell her anything bad, especially how she got the scar on her arm. She'd have a heart attack.

"I'm sorry, mama. I know I need to keep in touch better, and I'll try, promise." Robin sighs once more, falling back to sit on her bed.

"Are you getting enough sleep? You sound tired."

"Yes, I'm getting plenty of sleep." Robin chuckles. At the question, she can't help but think of Spencer. He's always telling her how important sleep is. "I'll call you later, okay? I've got to go."

"Alright." Robin can hear her mother sigh through the phone and she drops her head. "I love you, Ro. So does your father. We'll talk soon."

"Yes. I love you guys too." She says, folding the hem of her unmade sheets between her fingers. "Goodbye, mom."

"Goodbye, sweetie."

Pulling the phone away from her ear, Robin hangs up with a groan, flopping back onto her bed. She'll go see them soon, she tells herself. Even if she knows she won't.

********

The sounds of liquid pouring, things shifting and people chatting flow through the air. The atmosphere is light, easy. The couple sitting at a window table block out everyone else, instead of focusing on each other.

"No, no," Robin shakes her head, leaning back in her chair with a laugh. "I love your hair!" She tells Spencer enthusiastically, bewildered as to why he would say it's weird. "You should've seen mine when I was a teenager. Bright red."

Spencer can't contain his amused snort, followed by a chuckle. He wants to apologize for laughing but Robin doesn't seem to mind one bit, she even laughs with him, nodding her head. "Yup, had to bleach my whole head and everything. My mom was so against it."