Chapter Two

Hiiii everyone, here's chapter two! And could you perhaps give us some feedback about this fic? Like, any part of it or anything. Because we really wanna make this ficgood, and yeah. So like, comment, give us constructive criticism, it really doesn't matter if it's nice or not! I mean, honestly, we haven't ever gotten any comment or message that's mean (not that we want hate!) but yeah. Thank you so much for all your nice comments and messages though, really, we love you c:

CHAPTER TWO

Harry feels like the most inadequate, incapable boyfriend for hire to ever exist on this planet, so after the Beth incident, he makes it a point never to accept jobs like hers anymore. He's convinced he just can't untie the knot that seems to become of his tongue every time he has to speak, so he doesn't take anymore chances. He figures he can let that bit of extra money go; all he has to do is work a little bit harder, or maybe not buy such expensive food.

It's another boring Tuesday afternoon when he gets a call from his boss from the agency. Harry stares at the phone, letting it ring, and suddenly a horrible thought comes to mind. Maybe his boss got a complaint from Beth. Maybe he's calling him to tell him that he wasn't as good as they thought he was. The phone rings another one, two times, and then Harry answers.

"Took you long enough," the voice on the other end snaps, and Harry thinks, with a sinking feeling, that maybe he's right, why else would the boss sound so annoyed? "Sorry," Harry says, and the boss sighs. "Just don't take so long to pick up the phone next time," he says, and Harry thinks he sounds appeased.

Maybe he hadn't got a complaint after all. "Is there something wrong?" He asks carefully, and the boss makes a strange sound, like he can't believe what Harry's asking. "No, of course not."

"I was just wondering if you'd like to take up one of the jobs we've just got. The other guys are pretty busy and I figured I'd let you have it," he explains. "It's simple," he continues, before Harry can say anything. "There's a sort of party thing this Saturday, and all the rich families from around the area are invited. It's like a dinner and dance. The businessmen, politicians and high flyers of their respective fields are invited as well," his voice drops to a whisper, as if it's top secret information and he shouldn't even be saying this at all.

"There's a girl, Michelle, and she needs a partner for that night," he says, and Harry wonders if he's going to have to speak a lot. The way the boss is asking this isn't a yes or no question; it's a you-have-no-choice-in-this statement.

Harry doesn't even think there's any point in rejecting him, so he agrees and lets the boss rattle on about etiquette and how important it is to know what to do because all the important people will be there. All Harry can really think about right then is how easy it would be for terrorists to wipe out all the influential people in the city if they wanted to that very night.

So Friday night comes around and Harry is dressed even more formally than he was for Beth. He’s in a real suit this time, not just a nice shirt. Complete with a tie and all, even though he’s always thought they were too tight to be comfortable. His boss insisted though, and he can’t say no.

He meets Michelle several blocks away from the hotel and he has to keep his eyebrows from shooting up and off his head when she pulls up in front of him in a pink Mini Cooper. The window winds down and she tells him to get in, so he does, getting hit by a blast of cold air once he’s inside.

“So, Harry right?” She asks, speeding away towards the hotel. He feels like he should tell her to slow down; it’s not like they’re late for the event. But he figures she can afford it even if she gets a ticket for speeding, and it’s probably not his place to tell her off anyway.

“Yeah,” he says, and even through this darkness he can see her perfectly manicured dark red nails tapping on the steering wheel and her too-red lipstick, and the layers of makeup.

She turns into the car park. “So you know what to do, right?” She asks distractedly, looking for a space to park. His boss was right, Harry thinks. This is like a rich people gathering, the car park is full of expensive cars.