Chapter 3: Getting To know You

Wedge sat on one of the medical berths, the young child in his lap. The youngling drank out of the mini cube with wedge's help. Though, he preferred to do it himself.

"Boy. He was hungry." Hoist commented.

"He might be malnourished. Primus knows how long he'd been on Catalyst." Medix said.

"What makes you think he was on Catalyst?" Hotshot asked.

"Well, wedge said that he saw a femme down in the ravine right? That femme could have been this young one's carrier." Medix said.

"Then we have to go back to Catalyst! The femme must be wondering where her son is." Wedge said a little too eagerly.

"Hold on wedge. Heateave said that Ratchet was gonna come over. We gotta wait for him to come first." Whirl said.

"Can't Medix or blades check the kid over?"

"That's not what i'm here for. But medix could learn how to care for sparklings." All the recruits and the youngling jumped and looked at the door to see Ratchet.

"Uncle ratchet!!!" Medix happily shouted, jumping into his uncles arms. Ratchet chuckled and hugged his nephew.

"Glad to see you too medix." Ratchet said before putting medix down. He then walked over to wedge. The youngling became more and more scared the closer that ratchet got. Wedge did the best he could to calm the child, but the kid just didn't want to.

"Nuu! Nuu!" The youngling fussed.

"Hey, calm down kid!" Wedge said, trying to keep him still. But the youngling kept trying to run. When Ratchet met their position, he watched as Wedge tried to calm the youngling, obviously failing. Ratchet watched a little more before he kneeled down, and then pulled out an energon lollipop. The youngling stopped and stared at the small piece of candy. He then looked up at Ratchet, who held it a little closer to him.

"Here. This is for you young one." Ratchet said softly. The youngling hesitantly took the lolli. He examined it for a little bit and then popped it into his mouth happily. Wedge sighed in relief. He thought that the kid was never gonna calm down.

"Well, just by looking, i'd say that the kid would be about two." Ratchet said, standing to his full height. "But there's a lot more to know about this kid than his age." He muttered. The recruits looked at each other for a little bit.

"Medix, can you get me an empty syringe and a needle?" Medix nodded and went to get one. He came back a few seconds later and handed them over.

"Ok wedge. I'm gonna need you to hold the kid as still as you can."

"But-"

"Good. now let's do this." Ratchet then extracted some energon from the kid, the prick he just noticed and started to bawl. Screaming and crying, even after Ratchet was done. A small band aid was put on his arm, and he was given another lollipop, for the other had fallen on the floor. But he refused it. The youngling was too busy crying to care. Wedge could not calm him down, no matter what he did. So Ratchet did something. He scooped the kid from wedge's arms, which made the kid scream a little more, and lightly bounced him. The youngling then began to calm down a little more. But he was still fussy. Ratchet could tell he was tired, so he pulled out a chip from a hidden compartment and plugged it into his arm. Light soft music started to play. It was so calming that even some of the recruits began to feel a little tired. The youngling himself felt the most tired. He then drifted off, tears running dry. Once ratchet knew for sure the youngling was out, he turned the music off. The drowsiness that the music had stirred was slowly settling.

"Man. that thing is powerful. Hotshot mumbled, rubbing his eyes.

"Sure right it is. I used this very song on Medix when he was a sparkling." Ratchet said with a half smug smirk.