Chapter 9

Shivering and shoving my hands deeper in my pockets, I walked down the troubled neighborhoods of West Seattle. My breathing was short and fast, and I couldn't help but curse at my older brother for letting me walk in the cold just so that he could get it on with some random chick .

Sighing, I shouldered my satchel and walked on my stiff legs. I was currently listening to music. The song was Evergreen, by Broods. I nodded my head slightly to the soft, lulling beat. It completely fit the mood today.

Snow fell all around me, making my surroundings seems completely surreal and fantanstical. The canopy of trees around me was was white, and it seemed like I was walking in Narnia. The streets, I'd noticed, were quiet, making the scene even more eerie. The ground was already covered in a thick coat of strikingly white and new snow. The small fluffy snow flakes fell all around me, and I smiled at how beatific and serene it looked-

Then, of course, a snow flake fell into one of my widened eyeballs, and I cursed, rubbing at my eye, most likely smudging my mascara. Great. Now I probably looked like a raccoon. Mood ruined.

Shaking my hair free of the melted snow flakes, I rubbed under my eye and pulled out my cell to make sure I'd taken off most of the smudged mascara. Turning on my frontal camera, I checked it out. I was rubbing off the smudged mascara when I suddenly, through the camera, spotted a group of snobby teens behind me. They all had dark hair, pale skin, and were of tall stature.

Looking at them closer, I finally noticed that in the small group were the notorious twins, Sophia and Sebastian. They were laughing haughtily, and I clenched my jaw, anger rising up once again. There were four of them. It was Sebastian, Sophia, a boy that looked just a bit younger than the twins and a girl around eleven or twelve. They hadn't noticed me yet. They were too busy laughing at some stuck up joke.

Then suddenly, Sebastian Eden looked up, his eyes landing on me. I quickly put away my phone and didn't turn around to meet his glare with my own. I was seething with rage. I attempted to reign it in, but I was only partially successful. I was still absolutely pissed.

"It's her," I heard Sebastian hiss to the others.

They all went absolutely quiet. Then, without warning, I felt someone pull me back by the collar of my jacket, and I fell backwards, landing painfully on the snow. Wincing, I turned my glare toward the person who'd caused me to fall. Sophia loomed over me, sneering.

And to think I'd actually tried to be civil with these untamed beasts!

"How about we finish what we started, eh?" She said gruffly, then bent down and grabbed me by the front of my jacket, roughly pulling me up to my feet. She let me go, shoving me away. I barely managed to catch myself.

"Gladly," I snarled, throwing my satchel down and ripping out my earbuds, throwing them onto my satchel along with my cell phone.

Sophia lunged toward me, but I evaded her, shifting to the side at the right moment. I heard Sebastian growl something at his sister, and she turned her head his way. Taking advantage of her distraction, I kicked out her feet from beneath her, moving languidly.

"Get up," I growled, my voice sounding animalistic to my own ears.

Grunting, she sprang to her feet. We circled each other menacingly. I bared my teeth at her, and soon, I tasted blood. The cut on my lip had reopened.

"You're a coward!" she bellowed.

"And you're a freaking imbecile, along with your idiot brother over there," I rebuked in a low voice.

"That's it,"she hissed contemptuously, "you asked for it!"

She launched herself at me, moving gracefully in cat-like movents. I didn't have time to move, but I managed to grab her by the waist and tackle her to the ground. She yanked at my hair, pushing me down and sitting on top of me. She laughed at my attempts to get her off, and she was prohibiting my breathing. I punched her in the gut, and she wheezed, falling off me.