Chapter 7

I froze at her words. "What?" I asked blankly, the thought simply not registering in my head.

Catherine smiled smugly. "You heard me. That boy is head-over-freakin'-heels for you!"

My eyes practically bugged out of my head. "No, that's not possible," I murmured softly.

 "Everyone sees the way he looks at you, except you! When you talk, he invests all his attention on just you, like you're the most important thing! And you're practically all he talks about- which is saying somthing, since he's not really talkative. I mean, when he talks about you, he's a lovesick puppy! And you should've seen his reaction when I told him you were going to the ball with Chris! It was priceless!" She babbled on.

My face burned. "I'm like his little sister," I said lamely.

"More like his crush!" She waggled her eyebrows.

"N-no! He used to like you!" I sputtered my retaliation.

Catherine scoffed. "Did not! He only has eyes for you, dummy! Just accept it. C'mon, don't tell me you're not pleased by this! You should be- however miniscule your pleasure must be!" She insisted.

I was left momentarily speechless as my face turned a million different colors of red. "I don't know," I finally confessed.

And I didn't. Jason was like a brother to me, but I'd been feeling weird things lately, and I swear that he was, too. There was one time where we'd gone to Burger King together, and everything had been going swell until one particular moment.

"Who do you think is better, Capitan America or Super Man?" I'd asked, taking a bite of my whopper.

Jason had carefully considered my question, a pensive look on his face. He popped a fry into his mouth, accidentally spilling ketchup onto his chin as he did so.

Instinctively, I reached out and swiped the ketchup off his chin and licked the ketchup off my finger. It was something I'd do with Jacob.

The laughter died out of Jason's eyes, and a much more serious look crossed his face. And then something astonishing flashed in his eyes.

He gazed at me with wistful eyes.

I froze and heat slowly crept up my neck and into my cheeks. Something weird happened, then. I got a strange feeling, a yearning, and then I was staring at him with the same stupified expression on my face.

"Esme-" he began in a thick, sultry voice, but he quickly broke off when he spotted Catherine and Melissa over my shoulder. Right, they'd agreed to meet us here. I had totally forgot about that.

We had both averted our eyes, our faces beet red. And that was that.

It was moments like these- forgotten, diminished moments- that were so vital and significant now. They'd been over looked and were faded memories, but now that I looked back on them, they were all pointing to a simple fact.