Chapter 3

Yes, he was staring at me, no doubt about it.

I was shocked as a certain emotion surged through me.

I felt like I knew him. I felt as though this boy meant something to me.... most of all... I felt like I absolutely, irrevocably hated his guts. Like I absolutely despised him. This was the emotion that surged through me. Without even knowing this boy, I loathed him.

I stumbled away from the window, breathing hard. I muttered an oath under my breath and collapsed on my bed.

Who is that boy? I thought. I most certainly did not know him. Even though I hadn't gotten a look at his face, I was sure that I'd never met him. How could I have felt such a powerful emotion toward someone I'd never even met before in my life? How was it possible? Who was he? Damn him! Who the hell was he!?

"Esme, can I come in?" Mom's muffled voice called from the other side of my door.

I attempted to calm my erratic breathing and pushed away all the thoughts of that bastard away. "Yeah, go ahead," I said shakily. I wanted to be alone, though. I wanted privacy.

The doorknob turned, but met resistance. I frowned. I was sure that I'd left the door open. Absolutely sure of it. I jumped up, the boy forgotten, and checked the lock to my door. It was unlocked... what the...?

"Try it again. It's unlocked," I told mom through the door.

Mom sighed and tried again.

Again, she met resistance.

I furrowed my brow. "What? I don't understand," I said, and tried to open the door. This time, it gave away and I yanked it open.

Mom stepped in, a weird look on her face. She walked past me down sat on her the edge of my bed. Her confused hazel eyes met mine. "Esmeralda... I know that this might sound weird, but... did you, by any chance, not want me to come in?" Mom asked with a hint of suspicion in her voice.

I frowned. "What kind of question is that?"

"Just answer the question," she said seriously.

I frowned. "Um... honestly? I wanted to be alone," I shrugged sheepishly.

Mom's eyes widened with horror and she jumped up. "Oh, no... it's happening!" She hissed to herself.

I frowned, confused. "What's happening?"

Mom's shocked eyes found mine, as if she'd forgotten I was there. "Nothing," she said nonchalantly. Then, "I've gotta go." And with that, mom exited the room, leaving me confused and conflicted.

......................

I headed to bed about thirty minutes later. I turned off my light and climbed into my small twin bed. I couldn't see a thing, but I knew for a fact that my ceiling arched over me at a one-hundred-and-seventy degree angle, and that my walls were painted my favorite color, dark purple. I also knew that posters upon posters hung on my walls; book posters, celebrity posters, band posters, simply different kinds of posters. My drapes matched my walls, they were a light purple.

I sighed. My thoughts drifted off, and I found myself thinking about that boy. He invaded every corner of my mind, completely taking over every single thought of mine. Anger spurred inside me, and I seriously wanted to punch something. What was freaking happening to me? Was I crazy? I couldn't hate someone without even knowing them! And, in addition to that, I didn't hate anyone. Yes, I disliked some people, but my emotions never went past that. I was incapable of hate.

I pushed those thoughts aside, my breathing already escalating with the intense emotion I'd felt.

Just then, I remembered that my tablet was uncharged and I needed to have charged for tomorrow. I got up, turned on the small lamp beside my bed, and looked for it in my black satchel. It wasn't there... then I remembered: I'd left it downstairs in the living room. I put on my slippers, and quietly opened my door, stealing out into the darkness. I expected all the lights downstairs to be off too, but as I descended the stairs, a soft hue of golden light glowed from the living room. I heard the soft murmurs of Mom and Dad, and instinctively, I hid behind the rail of the stairs once I got to the base.

"...this is happening too soon, Jane. Are you sure you're right?" I heard Dad's soft voice say to Mom.

"I'm absolutely sure, David. When I came into the room, I felt the strong essence of her power. It was overwhelming." Mom sounded afraid.

Dad let out a shaky sigh. "God, Jane. It wasn't supposed to happen this soon. She's barely sixteen. Look at Jacob- he didn't receive his full power until he turned 17, and he's a male. She wasn't supposed to get them until she turned 18, at the earliest," Dad also sounded scared.

And just like that, I knew they were talking about me. But what in the bloody hell were they talking about!? Powers!? What in the freaking hell did they mean by that?

“I know, David. I think I know why, though..." Mom said, and I could practically hear the gears turning in her head.

"What is it?" Dad asked somberly.

“I think they're back."

I heard Dad's sharp intake of breath. "Jane..." Dad's voice was filled with fear.

"I feel it, I swear it!" Mom's voice was filled with passionate hatred as she hissed this.

Who was back? And why did mom sound like she utterly hated them?

Just then, they ceased their conversation.

"Do you feel that?" Mom asked.

"Yeah. Who's there?" Dad called.

I froze. Shoot. Not good.

I quickly padded up the stairs before they could see me and hurried to my room. Once there, I locked myself in my room, tablet forgotten, and turned off the lights, throwing myself into bed.

Moments later, I heard my Mom's voice at the other side of the door. "Are you sure one of them was down there? They're both fast asleep," Mom murmured to Dad.

"Hm. I was sure I felt something. I guess it was just my senses playing tricks on me," he sounded sheepish. Seconds later, I heard the soft thuds of their retreating footsteps on the soft carpet.

I pulled the blankets up tightly to my chin, and waited for sleep to come, my mind on the conversation my parents had just had.