8. They Meet Again

Winter, Year 2, Month 11

A cold wind raced down the sidewalk and Reeve welcomed the tingling sensation on her cheeks, her breath blowing clouds out into the atmosphere as she stepped out of her car.

She made sure to pull her beanie down low and wrapped her jacket tighter around her as the cold December air hit her with a familiar chill. Walking along the street, Reeve paused to stare at the shops glowing in the night, illuminated only by the Christmas decorations hanging in their windows. Their warm glow helped soften her towards the season and the cold. The light helped bring back numerous memories of Christmases past and Reeve smiled when she turned the corner and came across the street she had been looking for.

Hanging above the avenue were evergreen garlands wrapped in white Christmas lights, strung between the buildings, several down the lane, a wreathe wrapped in holly hanging in the middle. Reeve stared up at the sight as her breath created small clouds in front of her face. Before too long her legs grew numb in the cold and she had to keep moving.

Grabbing hold of the large brass handles, Reeve pulled open the glass doors to the Cafe, a welcoming wave of warmth rushing out to meet her. Making sure to shut the door quickly behind her to keep the warmth in, Reeve entered the familiar cafe, depositing her jacket on the coat rack that stood sentry at the entrance.

At the sight of a nearly empty cafe, Reeve let out a long sigh. Her soul felt at peace.

Her feet led her instinctively to the bar-stool at the far end of the bar, her old spot.

"Hey, kid. What can I get for you?" Hank asked. He kept his concentration on the glass he was drying while he took her order.

"Just coffee."

With a nod, he was off, only to return a few moments later with Reeve's drink in hand.

"Thanks," Reeve mumbled as she took a sip.

Hank swung his towel over his shoulders and rested his hands against the opposite side of the counter.

"On the house. But only for you."

"I think the Cafe has done enough for me, Hank. You could at least let me pay for my coffee."

"No way. You're one of us. It comes with the territory."

Reeve hadn't worked for Hank in almost three years but he didn't seem to think that that mattered all that much.

"Besides," he said. "If I stay in your good graces, maybe you'll come back and work for me. You know, if this whole music thing doesn't end up taking off."

Hank laughed at his joke. His smile was hidden among his bushy bread, his blue eyes shining out of crinkled eyes under a mop of black hair, silver just barely starting to become visible. It hadn't been there the last time Reeve had seen Hank.

She acknowledged Hank's joke with a nod. She owed him as much of her success as she did anyone else.

"I'll keep that in mind."

"I'll leave you to your coffee. Good to see you again, Liv. Don't be a stranger."

"Merry Christmas, Hank." Reeve raised her mug in a toast to which Hank responded with a simple nod before disappearing into the kitchen.

With no one else to talk to, Reeve's eyes wandering over the familiar room.

The Cafe at Christmas time had always been a favorite of hers. It did a good job getting her into the holiday spirit. Hank and his wife, Marla, managed to transform the place every year. Christmas lights hung along the brick walls, stockings for the employees were hung at the ends of booths. And they had set up a Christmas tree in front of the row of windows that looked out onto the street. It was a tall one, nearly reaching up to the wooden rafters above, decorated in white and colored lights and littered with handmade decorations, courtesy of Hank's two children, and ornaments brought from the employees' personal collections. And, of course, there was soft Christmas music playing through the speakers, audible now because of the lack of usual cafe chatter filling the air.