Chapter 2

⚔ The Right Way ⚔

"Kallm ji, get comfortable, and I will return to give you a quick tour of the village."

Kallm nodded at his companion, Rineo, and fell back on the bed. The door clicked shut and Kallm rubbed his face with his calloused hands. Many people were surprised with how his chosen profession affected his hands but there was more to photography than simply clicking a button.

Yawning, Kallm got up and made his way to the small kitchenette, and flicked the switch for the jug. Ever since Vodia had come back, he had made a habit of drinking tea numerous times a day, a habit that had rubbed off on Kallm. Leaning against the cabinet, Kallm looked around his studio apartment, the gentle rumbling of his water acting as background noise.

The bed sat in the middle of the room leaving no room for couches and so he expected to be watching his shows from his bed. Smiling, Kallm knew he would have no problem with that. Off the entry was a door leading into a smaller room which Kallm assumed would be the bathroom, but there was more time to explore later. Right now, the mesmerising glow of the setting sun cast a beautiful shadow around his room and Kallm simply basked in its glow.

Making his tea, he moved to open the windows. As the area he was in wasn't the richest, his room did not have a balcony nor sliding doors. He would just have to make do the tiny amount of light his small windows let in and be content.

Sipping on his hot tea Kallm turned to open his camera bags first. He had to get set up. On his fathers insistence he had stayed back in Kairya until the day before the course was supposed to start and now he realised that it may not have been the best choice.

Opening the first bag he carefully cradled his camera. The different lens laid beside it in their rightful places and he smiled as he ran a finger over the engraving on it. He had been studying law when he had made the decision to pursue his hobby of photography.

He remembered the day that he had told his father, expecting him to kick him out or at the very least force him to finish his law degree. But his father did neither, and Kallm knew he should have never assumed with Ionido. Instead, he was pulled into a hug that he hadn't received since he was a child. One that let him know it was okay and that he would always have his father. The next day he had been surprised with a brand new camera and set of lenses. The camera had an engraving on it that Kallm knew would always keep him living his dream.

When you can't stand life, kneel. But keep moving forward.

Kallm smiled to himself, resisting the loneliness that threatened to engulf him with the thought of his father. He was stupid to assume his father would be any less proud of him.

Placing the camera a suitable lens in a pack, he downed the rest of the tea, seeing that over fifteen minutes had passed. Rineo would be back soon.

Heading back to the kitchenette, Kallm began washing his cup and heard the door open. Ofcourse he'd show up when Kallm was doing something.

"Kallm?" His voice sounded like he was in the bathroom and Kallm wondered why he would think to go there first.

"In the kitchen." He finished as he placed his cup in the drying rack and wiped his hands. He hurried to grab his pack and slung it over his shoulder as he turned to face a grinning Rineo.

"Ready to go?" He asked, and Kallm noticed that the sun had been steadily setting, the outside being blanketed in a cool grey as the evening became overcast. Looks like he'll be getting a good sleep tonight.

Kallm simply winked back at him and shot off through the door, flying down the three stories of stairs. He heard a grunt behind him and looked back, Rineo was trying to catch up, but in the four years Kallm had known him, never had he been able to beat him in a race.