Chapter 24

⚔ The Right Way ⚔

Everyone met at the dining table the next morning, the house coming alive with all the bustle of the ladies. Madkun watched fondly as he saw his two daughter-in-laws - as he saw the way Corin looked at Kallm - and counted down the days when they could be a family again.

He wouldn't lie, he had been thoroughly disappointed when he had heard that Kayana had chosen to stay with Raian when Vodia had come back alone. Madkun had been sure that the time they would spend together would have at least made Kayana hesitate and think, but the pain he had seen Vodia in when he came in and the way he threw himself into his work gave Madkun all the answers he needed.

But seeing her now, glancing towards the doorway when she thought no one else was looking, waiting for Vodia, made Madkun feel that perhaps he didn't have the whole story. He looked at Corin then, seeing how she fussed over the food Kallm had in his plate, or, in her view, the lack of food he had. Madkun chuckled to himself as he saw Corin continue to place fruit after fruit in his plate, siding it with yogurt and muesli. Kallm looked at his father then, and Madkun winked at him which made Kallm grin back. It seemed things were finally getting back on track.

Kallm gazed at Corin, his mind was whirring with all the thoughts that he wasn't going to even sort through right now. He had decided that his feelings would come later, for even though he put his brother's happiness over all else, there was something to be said about someone who was willing to right their wrong. He watched the way she looked at his plate when she was complaining that he didn't have enough, or looked at his nose when she spoke to him in public because she didn't want to look him in the eye, for he had noticed that when she did, she smiled the tiniest smile that made Kallm's heart skip beats. He also noticed the small nudge of her head when she'd feel her hair fall into her eyes, and without realising it, Kallm had reached out his hand to push it away, causing her to stop and finally look at him, showcasing the smile that he knew would come. Corin blushed and finally looked away from him, putting down the plate and moving silently back into the kitchen. Kallm looked back up at the table, and saw Raian grinning at him as he raised his tea cup.

Caught, Kallm looked down at his plate, only just noticing exactly how much food Corin had placed on it. Gulping, Kallm picked up his plate and said a silent prayer. Lord help him if he didn't finish it.

Vodia looked from the top floor, gazing down at his family eating breakfast with the family that stole his love. He couldn't be bitter about it, he had wanted Kayana to be happy and that was what he had done. He had placed the hand of his love into another man's. All voluntarily. His father had spoken to him when he got back, proud that he had raised such a son, but sad that the son he had raised had become like this, but Vodia threw himself into his work, knowing that he had done the right thing.

Only thing now was to wait for the divorce papers.

Vodia knew that since Kayana was now happy with Raian, that it would only be a matter of time before he received the papers, but he also couldn't send them himself. He knew it was silly of him, but he was holding onto every little hope he had. Infact, he even had the papers ready in his office, courtesy of his assitant. He couldn't sign them though.

Turning around, Vodia sighed, running a hand through his hair as he leant his back on the railing. Folding his arms across his chest atop his white shirt, Vodia ignored the buzzing in his deep brown khaki's and continued staring down the hall, to the door of their maid.

Catching himself, he looked away, guiding his attention back to the matter at hand. He knew when Kallm wanted to marry Corin that that would mean having to meet eyes with Raian again, though he did wish it wasn't so. He had made peace with what he had done, but that didn't mean he wanted to be reminded of it by the very man whom he had given his all too.

Vodia smashed his fist against the railing behind him. What was he supposed to do? He couldn't exactly kick him out, though lord knew Vodia wanted to. But. If Raian was here, where was Kayana?

Had something happened? Why wasn't Kayana with Raian? 

Vodia turned swiftly, scanning the crowd below for a sign of his love, but he could only see the men, Caterina aunty, a girl with blonde hair he assumed was Corin and the maid, in a green veil today. 

But no sign of Kayana. 

Vodia took in a deep breath and a floral scent assaulted him, one that had been following him since he had gotten his laundry returned to him this morning by the every chiming maid. She had laid the laundry on his desk, which he assumed Kallm had told her is where he liked it, and brought in tea, just the way he drank it, before opening the curtains. 

Then she stood there, her brown curls hanging down her back and her head downcast, and through his sleep filled haze, Vodia thought he could see her smiling. And then he had smelt it. The very smell that had caused him problems when he had tried to sleep the night before.

He had come to the conclusion that perhaps Corin used the same scent, they were sisters after all. 

But Vodia still couldn't help the little hard thump of his heart everytime he took a breath through his nose of his newly scented clothes. 

He'd have to tell the maid to use new detergent. 

This smell was painful.

⚔ The Right Way ⚔