Chapter 17

⚔ The Right Way ⚔

Corin walked around the kitchen getting cookies and biscuits to go along with the tea she was making. For once she felt calm. She had her parents back, Kallm was no longer looking at her with complete disdain, and perhaps this outlandish plan would work and she'd have both her brother and Kayana back with her.

Humming to herself, Corin wouldn't have noticed the man leaning on the door frame, watching his lavender work, or that a larger figure had come up behind him, looking over his shoulder to the one he was looking at.

Ionido cleared his throat gently, causing Kallm to straighten up and curse himself for getting caught. Turning around, Kallm rubbed the back of his head with his hands, attempting to grin at his soon to be father-in-law.

Ionido gestured to Corin with his head, making sure not to sure any sign that he find all this very amusing. After being told of Kallm's plan, Ionido couldn't help but have a little pride that this man was willing to change his life to ensure that his brother was happy. But he also knew that should Kallm and Corin actually go through with it, well, they would both be very happy. They just hadn't realised it yet.

Kallm shook his head, earning a raised eyebrow from the man before him. How was he supposed to tell Ionido ji that he had been wishing that he had met Corin under a different circumstance. That he had met her as someone he could love with no guilt or afterthought. He truly wanted to let go and show her how precious she was to him, but he knew he couldn't. He couldn't betray his brother like that. It was a wound that was still fresh.

Ionido bellowed as Kallm ducked past him, the sight of such a tall man attempting to make himself fit in next to himself was one that Ionido had never seen. His laugh had caught Corin's attention, and she herself lifted a hand to her mouth as she saw Kallm slinking away. What had her father said?

Ionido walked into the room, and Corin immediately stopped what she was doing, making sure the scarf on her head was pulled up and hung loosely around her neck.

"Pita ji." She said softly. She didn't know what else to say, but she was glad that he was there.

"Beti." And that was all it took for Corin to dive into her father's arms. She was always daddy's little girl, but somewhere along the way she had gotten lost, and though she resented her father for sending her here at first, she realised it was because of him she had found Kallm again, and she couldn't be happier.

Pulling back, Corin saw her father eyeing the biscuits she had set out next to the teacups, and laughed, pulling away. Reaching over, she placed one on to the waiting palm of Ionido's hand and quickly shooed him away before her mother saw. Ionido placed a kiss on Corin's forehead and walked away, humming joyously as he placed the sweet treat into his mouth.

Corin shook her head happily, as she placed all the food onto the tray, picked it up, turning carefully until she saw the sock-covered feet by the door. Turning back to place the tray onto the table, Corin reached up to make sure that her scarf was covering her head, maintaining her stoic posture looking at the ground. She had left many things with Kallm unsaid when they were together before and now she didn't know how to react to him.

Kallm walked forward, not knowing where all this bravery was coming from, but also knew he didn't want to stop it. He wanted to make sure of both his feelings and Corin's before he went ahead with any plan. Right now though, it seemed Corin wanted to look everywhere but at him, and Kallm could understand his part in how she was feeling.

Placing a finger underneath her chin, he lifted her to face him, her blue eyes cut into him, and Kallm wished he could take back all that he had said and all that she had done. He wanted them to be able to be together so much, but he wasn't willing to make his brother see the reason for his own undoing in his own home. Kallm could not force his brother to make that decision.

The wind blew in from the open shelf windows, causing the air around the two to move, but Kallm could not look away from the eyes that he had been searching for every since he had seen them first. He didn't want to believe this sweet girl, his lavender, could do something so horrendous, to do so in the name of jealousy. People can change. His inner voice chimed in, but Kallm had never known anyone who would have to change. Could people really? Did Corin realise what she had done?

Looking into her shining eyes, the sky seemed to live in her orbs and he could see that she was gauging his reaction. Perhaps the expression on his face changed or the grasp on her face, but he saw the change in her eyes when she realised what he was thinking. The metal bars shielded her from his prying eyes as he tried to explain through his, but it was done. She was slowly backing away.

"Beti?"

Lirat's voice broke their spell, and Corin jolted into attention, but not before she glanced at Kallm's regretful eyes. He blamed her. And rightly so.

She'd do all she could do to help him. Besides, it was really him who was helping her. She should be thanking him. She should've begged him to help her.

Picking up her tray again, Corin made a move to walk past Kallm. His hand went out to reach her, but she shook her head. She didn't think she could take anymore of this. She needed time to steel herself from whatever feelings this plan may bring, and she wasn't there yet.

"Thank you, Kallm ji." She whispered, before she walked out to face her family.

Corin's words struck Kallm hard, as if a red, hot poker had gotten him straight through the gut. He thought she had warmed up to him, had finally begun accepting him. How can she accept you, if you aren't sure of yourself? Kallm knew the voice was right. He had to sort himself out. He had to figure out whether or not he was ready to forsake his loyalty to his brother. But did it really have to be that way? Was that the only way it could go?

An idea struck Kallm, but before he could get Corin, she had already left to the lounge. Kallm placed his fist in front of his mouth, attempting to hide the small smile that was forming. He had to speak to Madkun. And then Ionido. Wincing as he remembered Caterina's slap on his arm, he vowed to also include her in his plan.

Perhaps he could make this work.

⚔ The Right Way ⚔