Chapter 1

Vanessa filed off the prefects' carriage, walking aimlessly towards the castle. In the midst of all the chaos, she had lost all of her friends. No matter; she would be sitting with Alex and Artemis during the Sorting Ceremony anyway. Not to mention she and Artemis shared the laborious task of leading all the first year Ravenclaws to the dormitories along with the other prefects. Vanessa never understood why she had been chosen to be a prefect; she lacked all the qualities usually possessed by the enforcers of the rules. Artemis, although he had a devil-may-care streak in him, knew and appreciated the values of some rules, and he did a fine job at representing the school. On top of that, he had passed all of his O.W.L.S. and even now took more classes than necessary. Vanessa loved her friend dearly, but sometimes she thought he overworked himself.

The girl was wondering what this year was going to bring her on that front. She had hardly looked at the classes she had this year. She had done well enough on her exams the previous year that she could've taken practically anything. The only classes she knew for sure she had were Potions, Defense Against the Dark Arts, and Charms; the rest escaped her. The girl sighed; she would figure out the rest of her planned torture soon enough.

Before she could think of anything else, the girl felt something crash into her shoulder, hard. Vanessa glanced up only to be met with the same steely gaze from earlier. "Watch where you're going, Avery," Draco Malfoy spat, pushing past her.

"Jerk," Vanessa retorted, even though the blond boy kept walking, ignoring her. She shook her head. She forgot how much of a fool Malfoy was. She once had to tolerate him a lot more than she did now. Last year, the boy had been a prefect along with her; for some reason, the boy had given up his position this year. At some point, she would ask him about it, but now was not the time.

The girl continued to follow the mass of students into the school, and into the Great Hall. By the time she had arrived, most of the students had already taken their seats at one of the four long tables. The first year students hadn't arrived yet luckily, so she wasn't running late. Vanessa quickly found the Ravenclaw table and had a seat next down next to Artemis, who was already having an intriguing conversation with Alex, who sat across from him.

"I'm going to pretend I didn't hear you plotting, how about that?" Artemis stated.

"Hmm... I suppose that's better than nothing," Alex sighed. "You're always ruining the fun, Artemis. I hope you know that."

The boy shrugged. "I do my best."

It was then that Alex noticed Vanessa was sitting there. "What the hell took you so long?" she questioned the blonde girl.

Vanessa shrugged nonchalantly. "Just got caught in the crowd I guess."

Artemis turned to look at his friend, one of his eyebrows cocked slightly. "I thought you were right behind me when we got off the carriage."

"I was," Vanessa answered. "And then there was the swarm of younger kids, and Malfoy bumped into me-"

"-what do you mean Malfoy bumped into you?" Alex hissed. "Did you punch him?"

Vanessa stared across the hall for a moment, where once again she was met with a steely gaze. She looked away as she answered her friend. "No. I didn't punch him, although I probably should have. I'm tired of him already this school year and we haven't even started the Sorting Ceremony yet." She sighed. "He keeps frickin' looking at me. If he doesn't stop I'm going to have to wipe that ugly look off his face."

"Now, now, Vanessa," Artemis scolded. "No need for violence."

"Don't listen to him!" Alex intervened. "Smack the guy for having a staring problem."