Chapter 22

Vanessa leaned back against the cold stone wall, buttoning up her shirt from her most recent steamy encounter with Draco. They were down in the dungeons late at night, and decided the moment they were alone was the appropriate time to get a little frisky. It was the most bold they had been thus far, and the thrill of getting caught made it even better.

Slughorn's Christmas party was tomorrow night, and then two days after that everyone would be departing for the holidays with their families. Vanessa admittedly was starting to look forward to some time away from the castle and her classes. She was excited about being able to spend the two week break with Artemis and his family in Ireland. She had missed her friend's family something fierce, and seeing them would almost make up for not seeing her own father.

Almost.

She sighed quietly, trying hard to not think about that. Right now she was trying to soak up as much time with Draco as possible. She wouldn't be able to see him much tomorrow with preparation for the party, and then after that there was really only a day before they would be on the train on their way back to be with their families. And then they would be apart until after the new year started. It was going to be strange to be away from him for so long, but that wasn't what she was most upset about.

Draco heard her sigh. "What's wrong?" he asked, readjusting his pants.

Vanessa shook her head. "It's nothing really," she started. But then she frowned and added, "It's just... going to be really weird not to see my dad for Christmas. Or my mum; this is only the second Christmas without her."

Draco didn't say anything for a moment as he started to fix his shirt and tie. "You'll be alright. You have Fowl's parents there to fill in those roles," he replied coldly. "I still don't understand. How lousy of a parent do you have to be to not be there for your kid on Christmas?"

Vanessa stopped fixing her tie. "Um, excuse me?"

"You heard me," Draco snapped. "Seriously. Your father chose to work over spending time with you. You can't tell me you aren't the least bit annoyed by that."

She was a little bit annoyed, but not to the point she thought her father was "lousy." If anything, she was more annoyed with the company her father worked for. He didn't decide their work schedules, or what projects were to be prioritized. She was sure her father was just as gutted as she was about not spending the holiday together, if not even more so. This was only the second Christmas without Vanessa's mother. Vanessa knew it was going to be hard for her, but she could only imagine her dad felt so much worse. The woman he loved was dead, he'd be toiling away at work, and their only child would be a country away with a friend. She would at least have a loving family around her; her father would have no one, and she hated that.

"Oh, I'm annoyed, alright," Vanessa started. "One, at his boss- who is the one forcing him to work, fully knowing the situation. And two, at you for insinuating my father is horrible for having to work on a holiday."

"Don't get pissy with me because your father is too much of a coward to tell them to shove off," Draco retorted.

"So let me get this straight... My dad is trash because he works hard to provide for me?" Vanessa asked. "So I have a roof over my head and food to eat when I return for the summer? Not all of us were born rich."

Draco shrugged his robes back on, scoffing. "Now you're just putting words into my mouth," he hissed. "Besides, you act like you would be on the streets if he took time off. I'm sure your best friend and his wealthy family would take care of you. You know, since you're like their own."

Vanessa blinked a few times. Did he really just go there? He had been sitting on that comment for almost a week, considering he had used her own words against her. She bit her tongue for a moment as she nodded slowly. "So you are jealous of him," she muttered.