Prologue

Hey guys! This story has been in the making since October 2013. I haven't been able to get as much done as I would like since I started, but after having a particularly crappy day, I decided I would post this early.

While this story does contain Artemis Fowl, I don't expect many of you to know much about him off hand or the universe in which I pulled him from. Anything I do insert from the series, I will do my best to explain.

I don't own Harry Potter or Artemis Fowl. Those series and all their characters belong to J.K. Rowling and Eoin Colfer- admittedly my two biggest inspirations for my writing.

Special thanks to Ally (allyycatt), Stephanie (bebe05215), and Brittany (girlygirlbritt2004) for creating characters for this story (although I wonder if they remember... I asked them so long ago...). Ally also made the cover for this book, and I couldn't be happier with it. Also... to Alana (xonceuponatimex) for pushing me to actually write. Lord knows I need a push every once in a while...

So... without further to do... I present to you the prologue.

**************************************************************************

"Some birthday present, eh Artemis?" Vanessa teased her best friend. The boy had the misfortune to be born on the very day the teens were scheduled to return to school for a new school year. It was something Vanessa had been teasing him about ever since their first year when they had met.

The raven-haired boy walking beside her, Artemis, shook his head. "Definitely," he retorted. "Because I just love celebrating my birthday with a Sorting ceremony and the beginning of another dreadful school year."

Vanessa knew the boy was right. Every year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry was just bringing them a new pain. Surely their sixth and penultimate year wouldn't be any different. Vanessa rolled her eyes at the thought of it. Most of it was all because of some kid named Harry Potter. Every year, the boy found himself in some ridiculous amount of danger. Last year, he had formed a secret group to practice Defense Against the Dark Arts. That idea didn't go over so well, so Vanessa was eager to see what kind of trouble would occur this year. Admittedly, she was ready to watch the boy fail, having all his fame come crashing down around him, but that seemed unlikely at this point.

"Well... at least you're not in Hufflepuff," the girl quipped, coming to a stop right in front of the door to get on the crimson colored train that would bring them across the country to school.

"True," Artemis sighed. "Just be glad the only Hufflepuff we associate with is my cousin, Emily."

Vanessa rolled her eyes. "Tell me about it," she scoffed, pushing her blonde hair from her eyes. "I don't know what I would do if any more of my friends were those pathetic badgers. I suppose at least none of us are Gryffindors." The girl began climbing the staircase up to the compartments. "Let's just find the girls and get this year started."

Artemis followed behind her, walking beside her until they reached one of the compartments in the middle of the train. Vanessa was pleased to see the rest of her best friends sitting around the compartment, all talking amongst themselves. Each of the four girls in the room were the only people in the school other than Artemis she could stand. Alex, Amber, Kendall, and Emily were the only girls she didn't feel like throwing out a window.

"Well, well, look who finally decided to join us," the only other blonde in the room greeted as Vanessa and Artemis took their seats next to her. "I was wondering what was taking you so long."

"You know... Muggle father, Amber," Vanessa sighed. "He always forgets how to get here; you would think after doing this for six years he would figure it out."

"Regardless, you're here now, and the fun can really begin," one of the other girls added, pushing some of her dark hair from her green eyes.

Vanessa chuckled. "And by fun, I'm sure you mean something positively evil, Kendall. You and Amber really bring out my inner Slytherin. So what are you planning?"

The girl sitting directly across from Vanessa snickered. "Nothing yet," she replied, pulling her curly hair back into a ponytail. "But I'm sure we'll come up with something.

Vanessa smirked. "Alex, you and I both know that you and I will get into enough trouble by the end of this year just by sharing a bunk. The rest of the Ravenclaw girls have no idea what may happen to them this year."

"And us boys as well," Artemis piped up. "You have most of the house afraid of you."

"As they should be," Alex retorted. "Vanessa and I are the most terrifying people to ever be placed in Ravenclaw."

That was a true statement. Vanessa often questioned why she was placed in Ravenclaw in the first place. She understood it was a place for intelligence, creativity, and individuality, but honestly after befriending Amber and Kendall, the girl wondered if the Sorting Hat had been wrong by placing her there and not in Slytherin. Vanessa was happy to be in Ravenclaw along with her childhood best friend, Alex, and Artemis as well, but sometimes the girl doubted whether or not she had the drive her friends did to do well in her classes.

"All I know is that the rest of you make me glad to be a Hufflepuff," the youngest girl finally spoke up. Emily, Artemis' 4th year cousin, was the youngest in the group, and often felt left out due to her friends being older than her. Vanessa often looked at the girl like a younger sister since neither of them had any siblings of their own. Emily, while intelligent, occasionally needed the guidance of someone a little wiser. While Vanessa certainly didn't claim to be the brightest at anything, she had life experience, and that was sometimes more important than any book smarts.

"At any rate," Amber changed topics, "it's a new year, which means new adventures. What do you all want to do this year? You know... other than survive."

As her friends all began discussing possible escapades for the year, Vanessa contemplated what this year would bring her. At the moment, she had no idea what was going to happen. She glanced out the compartment's door, only to catch the steely stare of a blond Slytherin boy. Vanessa knew who he was all too well; Draco Malfoy was notorious, and she knew if he was staring at her, this year was bound to be interesting.