Chapter 21

THEY ALL SAT IN PATRICKS HOUSE

THEY ALL SAT IN PATRICKS HOUSE. Riley hunched over his computer, Alex sitting by his side with Abagail and Ben lingering on either side of the couple. Alex and Abagail held freshly brewed cups of coffee when Patrick walked in holding a large book.

"The Resolute desk is near the south wall in the Oval Office." Patrick stated as he placed the book on the desk in front of Alex, gesturing for everyone to look.

"Small door on the front of the desk." Ben stated as he leaned over his sisters shoulder.

"FDR had that put in so guests couldn't see his wheelchair." Patrick explained and the three gates were lost in discussion about what could happen when Riley spotted something.

"Guys, take a look at this." He said and they all turned their focus to his screen. It was an advertisement for the Easter Egg Roll and Abagail smiled to herself,

"This could work." She said, taking a sip of her coffee.

"I believe it's time for you to make a date with your new boyfriend." Ben said, turning his head to look at Abagail who had a grin on her face.

"I think you're right." She said and Alex turned to look at her best friend but noticed her dads look of confusion.

☆☆☆

BEN, ABIGAIL, RILEY, PATRICK AND Alex arrived at the Easter Egg Roll promptly. "We'll be back with the next piece in hopefully half an hour," Ben said closing the door and walking off with Abagail.

Patrick sat in the front whilst Alex and Riley sat together in the back. He had his arm wrapped around her when he heard her sigh.

"You okay? He asked and she looked up at him smiling.

"Of course, why'd you ask?" She questioned tilting her head to the side in a state of confusion.

He chuckled to himself, pulling her tighter against his chest.

"I just didn't want you to feel left out, we're sitting in a car whilst Abgail and Ben look around the Oval Office, I know how you have a weird addiction to American Politics," he said, trying not to make an issue out of nothing. She just laughed and kissed his cheek.

"Nothing to be worried about Ry, I know that I would have only been a hindrance. Plus I get to spend more time with you," she said, tapping her finger on the tip of his nose and making a boop noise.

Riley laughed at her actions and kissed her. Patrick looked at them through the rear-view mirror and smiled to himself, happy that his little girl had found someone that made her happy.

After a childhood of constant trips between parents and her brother joining the Navy and leaving he was happy she had finally found some kind of peace.

Patrick saw that a frustrated looking Ben was walking back towards the van empty handed with Abigail.

"You two, I see Abigail and Ben coming now, and they don't look too happy about something," He stated and they jumped out the car, Riley and Alex walking at the front hand in hand whilst Patrick followed on their heels.

"Its gone," Abigail stated as they walked closer to the other three

"Someone must've taken it." Ben said as they met up with Riley, Patrick and Alex.

"Brightest men in our country sat at that desk for over a hundred years, course they found it." Patrick explained as they crowded around Ben and his camera, Riley still pacing in the back.

"A symbol stamped into the wood." Ben stated as Alex peeked over Abagails shoulder.

"It's the presidential seal." Ben stated and Alex laughed.

"It's not the presidential seal." She stated knowing exactly what it was.

"The eagle's holding a scroll instead of olive branches." Patrick said as be pointed out the small difference.

Alex decided not to tell anyone because they should have read the book. Riley looked over Ben's shoulder and sighed, walking back and sighing.

"Did none of you read my book" He said and everyone turned to look at him shocked except from Alex who rushed to him, standing next to Riley who wrapped his arms around her.

"The eagle clutching the scroll." Riley stated.

Ben smiled to himself as he looked at the couple, "Do you know what means then?" Ben asked and Riley nodded his head.

"But it's not something I could tell you. It's something that I have to show you," Riley explained smiling, "In my book."

"You didn't even open it?" Riley asked sad as they stood next to the van, his arm still around her waist as they stood watching as Ben opened the package.

"I was moving." Ben stated as he flicked through the pages. A sigh escaped Rileys lips as he looked at the book in Ben's hands.

"Chapter 13." He said and Ben turned to the page, Abagail reading it next to him

Patrick watched over Bens shoulder as he leaned against the van "The President's Secret Book?" Ben asked and Alex smiled to herself.

"The President's Secret Book." She said smiling and her dad looked at her.

"It happens to be a collection of documents for presidents by presidents, and for presidents' eyes only." Riley explained, an excited tone in his voice as Ben and Abagail skimmed the page of the book.

"And I'm not just talking about JFK here, guys. The 18 and a half missing minutes of the Watergate tapes. Did the Apollo really land on the moon? Did it? And the coup de grce," Riley finished explaining and Alex smiled.

"Area 51." She exclaimed and Riley laughed, pulling her towards him slightly.

"Yeah," he said and Abigail shook her head, not believing any if it.

She had her hands on her hips as she turned to look at Riley, "Come on, Riley. That's an urban legend." She said and Riley shook his head.

"Is it, Abigail? Is it?" He questioned and she laughed to herself in disbelief.

"It's just totally-" she said, thinking of what to say next.

"Crazy?" Riley said before looking back at Ben and Patrick. "Cause last time I checked, we pretty much make our living on crazy."

Ben looked at the page and it was the exact same symbol. Riley noticed and pointed it out to him.

"Released in '66 under the Freedom of Information Act. The eagle and the scroll, the secret symbol in the President's Book." He explained and Ben did that weird invisible moustache stroking thing he did whenever he was thinking.

"So you're saying that whatever was on that plank is now in the President's Secret Book?" Ben asked, almost like he was trying to convince himself of it. Riley sighed as he looked over at Ben, someone he had spent theast few years with exploring and he still doesn't trust his ideas.

"Ben. If it was you trying to convince me you'd have less evidence, and I'd already believe you by now." Riley explained, a serious look on his face.

1171 words