Chapter 15

SHE HAD TWO MISSED CALLS FROM Riley but ignored them, putting her phone back in her pocket

"Alex go, me and Dad can do this but right now Riley needs you," Ben said and Alex nodded her head, walking the two blocks to the bookshop where Riley was signing books.

She smiled when she saw his books in the window and his red ferrari sitting outisde the shop.

Alex walked in and he smiled when he saw her, leaning over his table to kiss him before moving out the way when someone walked in the door. She was happy that people were coming to see his book.

"Oh, wow. Is this a book about the Templar treasure?" A blonde haired woman said as she picked up the book, reading the back cover.

"Yes, it's about the Templar treasure, and other things like Conspiracy theories and other myths that are  actually true." Riley read out smiling to himself, Alex smiled as well at the way that he seemed so happy about the fact that people were interested in his work.

"So the author's here signing copies?" She asked and Riley nodded his head,

"I'm the author." He said and he looked confused for a second.

"You are?" She asked and Riley furrowed his brow, picking up his book.

"Yeah. See, uh..." He said, turning to the back page where a picture of him was, "There's a picture of me me right there. I think it's a pretty good picture." He said, imitating his picture and looking directly at Alex, making her laugh loudly.

"I thought those siblings, Benjamin and Alex Gates, found the treasure," she said opening the book and looking at the front page. It had a picture of the 5 of them at The Louvre. Alex sighed when she noticed the smile on Riley's face fade as he looked at Alex.

She gave him a thumbs up, "Go on, you can do it," she mouthed to him and he smiled again at her before looking back at his customer.

"Well, yes, Ben and Alex did, but I am the co-finder." He explained and she sighed, placing the book back on the table.

"Oh, I've never heard of you." She said before walking back out of the shop. Alex walked back towards Riley and grabbed his book.

"Are you the author?" She asked and he laughed at her.

"Oh yes I am, do you want a signed copy?" He questioned and Alex nodded.

"I'm sorry no one wants the book," she said and he half-smiled at her, shrugging his shoulders.

"It's fine, at least you liked it," he said, getting up and kissing her on the cheek.

"I loved it, and I got in the book," Alex said, opening the book to the front page.

"To my dear Alex, thank you for giving me the motivation, encouragement and help that I needed to write this book. I couldn't have done any of it without you," she read out and he smiled at her,

"It's true, I couldn't have done it without you Sunshine," he said kissing her again before sitting back down behind his desk.

A brown haired woman walked in and picked up the book, "Oh, my gosh. Are you Ben Gates?" She asked and Riley sighed before nodding.

"Yes. Yes, I am." He replied and Alex held in a laugh.

"Do you own a red Ferrari?" She asked and Alex furrowed her brow before looking at the blonde lady. Alex was unsure whether she was curious or just hitting on Riley.

"Yes, I do." Riley said, a smile evident on his face. He loved his ferrari, maybe even more than most people.

"Well, it's being towed." She said and Riley looked up confused.

"Hm?" He said before gasping and running out of the bookstore. "Wait! Wait! That's my car!"

The couple walked back over to Patricks house where Ben was staying because Riley had his car taken away and Alex walked over.

They dragged the books with them as he kept moaning about his stupid accountant and the island. She placed her hand on his shoulder, kissing his cheek.

"It'll be ok, you'll get it back eventually," she said and he sighed, kissing her again. They made it to the apartment and saw Ben sitting outside on the steps.

"Where's the Ferrari?" Ben asked as he saw them dragging the books along the street.

"IRS impounded it." Alex stated and Riley sighed.

"The IRS?" Ben questioned, and Riley shook his head, taking Alex's hand in his.

"Funny story. My accountant set up a corporation on an island that didn't exist and assured me that that's how rich people do it." He said using quotation marks for 'rich people', "Then I got audited and slapped with a huge fine plus interest. Wanna know what taxes are on five million dollars?"

"Six million dollars. But enough about me. What's new with you?" He asked and Alex tensed up.

She hadn't mentioned to Riley about what had happened "Well, Abagail kicked me out, I'm living with my dad and my family killed President Lincoln" he explained and Riley looked at Alex.

"You didn't tell me," he whispered and she sighed.

"It was your day, I was going to tell you when we got home," Alex explained and he sighed, bringing her hand up and kissing it.

"I need your help." Ben said and the couple looked at each other, always ready for a good adventure.

1016 words