𝐓𝐖𝐎

𝐓𝐖𝐎 | Prying ears

{ Maiya }

The Court of Nightmares had become a battleground for me. Everywhere I went, the Shadowsinger seemed to appear before me and that was making my job hard. If I acknowledged him as my mate then things with my parents was going to take a turn for the worse and I didn't need that sort of pressure on me, especially with a war on the horizon.

My father had been trying to find a suitor for me since I turned sixteen, and so far he'd had no luck (down to a lot of hard work from me) but he would be fuming if he learnt that I had an Illyrian for a mate. It was all hypocritical, but I wasn't going to put myself, or the Shadowsinger, in that position. If I could protect Azriel, then I would do my best.

Huffing, I turned the corner, only to bounce off of a seemingly solid wall. The wall grunted, as I stumbled backwards, my balance faltering.

"Shit..." I hissed, before warm hands wrapped around my waist, catching me before I could hit the floor. Electricity shot through me, my soul curling as I cursed mentally. I knew exactly who I had run into, even before he spoke.

The universe hated me with a burning passion.

"I'm so sorry," Azriel told me, picking me up and setting me on my feet again. "I should have looked..."

"No worries," I muttered, cutting him off and brushing my dress at the same time. There was little dust, but you could never be too careful.

"Are you alright?" His hands hovered close to my body if I needed support again, and I was tempted to grab onto his arm to help hold me up, but I resisted. I didn't know who was listening or watching in here. 

"It's fine. I'm alright," Azriel nodded, reluctantly backing away from me. I glanced up at his face, seeing the mortification that was plastered over it and feeling my own heart flutter. As much as I wanted to run away from my mate, I also wanted to stay close to him, to get to know him. Curse emotions and feelings and mates in general, because I knew that this had the potential to get me, and him, killed. "We haven't truly been introduced. I'm Maiya."

Holding out my hand, I watched as he slid his hand into mine, shaking it softly. His palms were rough, from years of training, and I watched them to avoid meeting his eyes. I knew that as soon as I did, I would find myself being unable to not kiss him.

Azriel's hands had scars wrapping around them, encircling them like a strange form of tattoos. Some were still red and clean cut, whilst others seemed older and harsher. My heart fell as I thought of who would even think of doing that to someone's hands. It was disgusting and barbaric.

He mistook the anger on my face for anger at him and that he was still holding onto my hands, so he pulled his own back so that he could fold his arms and hide them.

"Sorry," I nodded, before turning to walk away. If this went on for any longer then I was going to kiss him. "You're Rhysand's older sister, aren't you?"

"You know my brother?" This caught my attention, and before I could process it, I was standing in front of him again, eyes wide. Shadows curled around Azriel, a rogue one twisting around my fingers. "How is he? Is he good?"

"Yes. He and I trained together at the war camp to the North," Azriel told me and I hung onto every word, more than happy to hear about Rhysand and what he had been up to. "He's still up there, helping to train younger..."

Footsteps along the corridor behind us cut Azriel off, as I stepped further away from him (having drifted closer over the conversation). I scowled as soon as I saw the familiar face, one that I detested so much.

"My Dear," My scowl turned into a snarl as I reached for a knife. Mendax was my father's closest advisor, and despite being almost six hundred years older than me, had been after my hand in marriage since I was thirteen. It was fair to say that he and I did not have a good relationship. "What are you doing talking to the Illyrian?"

He spat it out like a curse, as the need to protect my mate clouded my judgement.

"Careful, Mendax. I'm half-Illyrian as well, or have you forgotten that?" That shut him up. "I'm going to the library, disturb me, Mendax, and I'll remove fingers."

 I shot him yet another venomous glare, before slinking back towards the library, contemplating the audacity of that man once more. Moments had gone by, before I heard footsteps behind me and I drew my dagger.

"Sorry, Princess," It was Azriel, his hands in the air as I reluctantly put my weapons away, not wanting to accidentally slice at his hands, which I could already see were wreathed with scars. "I just wanted to check that you were alright. You seemed annoyed?"

"It's fine. Mendax just annoys me,"

"Who's Mendax?"

"The man you just met," I rolled my eyes. "He's my father's closest advisor and a dangerous man. From the Hewn City, so they've got an unnatural hatred for Illyrians as well. I would steer clear, if I were you."

"I see,"

I nodded at his words, before turning away again. Any more and I would start kissing the man in front of me.

"I'll see you at the meetings!" Azriel called after me, as I nodded and hurried away. This was going to be far harder than I thought if I was thinking of kissing him during a five minute conversation.

Hiya,

Maiya really does not want a mate, and Mendax is back! It's everyone's favourite guy to hate. Also, this is slightly shorter, but oh well,

Let me know what you think,

Love Li xx