~4~

LC'S POV

"I'm gonna marry that girl." I hear. My stomach flutters and my heart soars. Then I hear footsteps walking away. That's the first time I'd ever heard Mat talking about marriage or the future. We haven't really talked much about it. I decide to lay here for a while in attempt to fall asleep but I couldn't so I got up, folded the blanket and plodded back to Mat's room. I softly pushed the door open and closed it lightly behind me. I plug my phone in and throw Mat's hoodie off as Mat softly snores and I crawl in next to him. I kiss his bare shoulder and curl up against his back. I guess he felt my arm go around his waist because he laid his arm over top of mine and grasped my hand. Shortly after, I fall asleep next to the warmth of his body.

The next morning, I woke up after Mat, who was on his phone when I groggily opened my eyes. When he noticed I was awake, he put his phone down and rolled over closer to me. I closed my eyes again to go back to sleep when he pressed his lips to my neck. Then he barely brushed his lips over my neck and tickled his breath tickled it. "Mmm good morning Mathew." I hum, my attempts to go back to sleep failed. "Good morning babe." He speaks lowly. I softly grab his chin from my neck and lift his face to mine and look into his eyes before kissing him. He kisses me back and rolls over top of me, still making out. As we're making out, he wriggles his fingers under my shirt and starts to tickle me. I laugh and try and push him off but he just pulls me closer. After a few minutes, I can't catch my breath and I have to beg for him to stop. He eventually does and his warm hands are just placed on my stomach. He rests his nose against mine and whispers "I love you." "I love you too Mat." I whisper back. After a few more minutes of cuddling with him, we decide to get up and go rejoin society.

We go out into the kitchen where Nadia is just finishing breakfast. We sit down to eat and she sits down at the table. We chit chat with her and Liana over breakfast and then Mat and I talk about when we need to head back to the States for the awards. "The awards are on the 19th. Let's see, it's the 5th so if you want to see your family and Soph while we're there, we should leave on the 15th and we can come back whenever you want." Mat says. "We don't have to stay there for very long, we came here to be at your home." I say. "We can come back the day after then." He says.
Later that day, Mat goes to train and I hang out with Liana. When Mathew gets done, he and I go out to lunch. We sit down at a table while our food is being made and my phone rings. It's an unknown number from home so I answer. "Hello?" I answer.

Alexandra Callahan?

"Speaking." I state

Hello Alexandra, this is Robert Donovan from The Athletic, how are you?

"I'm doing well, how about yourself?" I ask, my jaw dropped that I was speaking to someone from a notorious sports writing platform. I also excuse myself from the table with Mat to get some more privacy.

I'm doing alright! I just wanted to give you a call because I received a recommendation from one of your professors, I understand you just graduated from Stony Brook University?

"I did. I came to Canada with my boyfriend for the summer right after graduation." I say.

Interesting. Listen, I was wondering if you are currently looking for employment because I think you would be perfect for our assistant editor position at the Athletic. Basically, you would be receiving articles from our writers and doing your research to make sure they are correct. You would basically be covering the writers from the New York Area. Is that something you'd be interested in?

That sounds amazing! I would love to!

Perfect, when are you able to come in for an interview. I know you said you're in Canada?

Well actually, we're going to be back in the states for the NHL awards in a week. Is there any way you could do, say, next Thursday?

Let me check here, give me one second.

There's a pause. That should work, should we say 2 o clock?

Sure! See you then!

Looking forward to it.

With that, he hangs up the phone and I head back to Mat and I's table.

"Something wrong?" He asks regarding the phone call.

"No. Actually, I think I'm getting a job?" I say, still baffled the phone call even happened.

"Oh my god really? Where?" Mat exclaims, getting excited.

"The Athletic. As an assistant editor." I say.

"Oh my gosh, babe that's amazing congratulations!" He says, standing up to give me a hug.

"I have an interview next Thursday while we're in the states." I say.

"That works out so perfectly. I'm so happy for you." He says.

"Thank you!" I say as we sit down.

Whenwe get back from lunch, Mat instantly tells his mom about my phone call. "Ohhoney, I'm so happy for you! I hope you get it." She says, giving me a hug.