003

DAY 01
B.E.A.R. LABORATORIES
LEVEL 4: CONFERENCE ROOM

Veronica swallows thickly.

"Are you sure I am qualified for this position?" She asks. "I have no work experience therefore I doubt I can be of much use, especially compared to doctors such as yourselves."

"Quite the opposite, actually," Dr. Peterson pipes in. "You have no experience, which means you have no idea what to expect. We need fresh eyes--something only a new recruit can offer."

"What will my position entail?"

"Exactly what I taught you to do," her old professor enlightens. "Lab work. We provide the samples, you give us the results."

Veronica chews her lip. "And the pay?"

"Substantial," Dr. Vanderwall says flatly.

Veronica stands hesitantly. "Very well, then. I thank you all for the prestigious offer, but I would like to think about it."

All eyes are on her except Dr. Vanderwall's, whose gaze flits over a file in front of him. "Yes or no, Miss Odair."

"Excuse me?" Veronica questions.

"Yes or no," Vanderwall repeats, steel grey eyes lifting to pin down on her. "Do you want the job or not?"

Veronica clenches her fists, suddenly very, very intimidated. "I'm sorry, sir, but I would like to think it over before making a final decision."

"That will not be necessary," he replies evenly. "Decide now."

Veronica glances suspiciously between the gazes of her professor and Dr. Vanderwall. Though much is being kept from her and the entire project is kept under top secret security, she can't help but be excited about this once in a lifetime offer. This is what she went to school for in the first place, was it not? She also can't help feeling that there really was only one answer they would have accepted.

"I accept."

The file previously under the inspection of Dr. Vanderwall is slid across the table to her. Veronica reads over it carefully, trying to make sense of the formally written words.

"It says here that my services are at your disposal. What does that mean, exactly?" She questions.

"Simply a formality, Ms. Odair," Dr. Vanderwall dismisses. "Say this were a fast-food joint. I, as your employer, would have the authority to move you wherever I like in the establishment, be it a dishwasher, waitress, or cashier. The same rules apply here. Your job may change, exact duties varying by experiment, therefore we need to have your consent to relocate you as we see fit."

Veronica nods hesitantly. "Alright, then." She continues down the contract, meticulously searching through the clauses. Not much jumps out at her as risky, though it seems like the line between safe and dangerous is becoming increasingly blurred.

"Are you finished yet, Miss Odair?" Dr. Conner questions.

"Uh, yes, just one more moment," Veronica replies, ball-point pen shaking slightly in her trembling fingers. The tip hovers over the pristine white paper, looming over the final dotted line. She breathes in and slowly lets the ink drag across the paper.

Veronica signs her name.

The contract is snatched from her grip by Dr. Conner, who then leaves the room entirely, followed shortly by Dr. Peterson.

"Right this way, then," Dr. Anderson voices, gesturing for her to follow him out the door. Before they can make their exit, Dr. Vanderwall speaks up from behind them.