Chapter 7: Trial and Fervor

Inrukka pounded on the cell wall his hands still bound behind his back as Kamatori sat in the cell to the right of him meditating. With ever pound, the vein on Kamatori’s forehead budged all the more. His brother had kept this up for two straight hours. Inrukka hadn’t completely realized they were being jailed till about an hour after being placed in the cell two days ago.

    Again Inrukka threw himself on the wall hoping it would give, but no such movement from the wall occurred. The dark skinned ninja slumped to lay against the wall for support panting heavily from the strain.

    “Are you finished yet?” Kamatori asked finally.

    “We were set up Kamatori,” Inrukka muttered.

    “I know, brother,” Kamatori replied, “Mona set us up from the beginning.”

    “Well what are we going to do?” Inrukka pleaded, “I can’t stand this! Confinement sucks!”

    “Why don’t you throw yourself against the wall a few more times,” Kamatori said sarcastically, “seemed like it was working.”

    Inrukka grumbled to himself and rolled over in his cell looking up and out of the window watching the clouds go by. Kamatori remained silent breathing steadily in meditation. Both of the boys had been like this for the past two days since their arrest at the tournament. Kamatori had barely touched the food they served him, it usually went to Inrukka to feed his ever growing appetite. Inrukka would always go back to beating the wall, but that never lasted too long.

    The jail was basically a hallway with cells on both sides, a single door on the north side of the hallway leading to the lobby of the tiny prison. The building itself was built into the side of the peaks only the cells were suspended over the deepest chasm braced by sturdy timber and cables.

    Kamatori and Inrukka were the only two people in the cells, mostly due to the fact that crime was next to nothing in the village and the haunting fact that Mona never likes to keep prisoners. For a peace-loving Monk, he had a nasty reputation for public executions to maintain an iron fist grasp on the village. Few ever went against him for that.

    There suddenly came the sound of bolts being unlocked and the heavy door at the end of the hallway being swung open. Inrukka rushed to the cell door to see who was coming. He squeezed his face to the iron bars peering through. Kamatori remained seated but opened his eyes to see what was going on.

    “Five minutes my lady,” came the voice of the Jailer. “Master Mona’s orders.”

    “That will be fine,“ came the familiar female voice that made Inrukka’s face light up. Koyuki appeared before his cell a moment later as the door creaked to almost shut with a worried smile.

    “Koyuki, baby,” Inrukka said. “Damn I’m so glad to see you. You have to help get us out of here! Mona has gone insane!”

    “I know my father isn’t himself,” Koyuki said sliding her hand between the bars to touch Inrukka’s face gently. “I don’t know what has gotten into him.”

    “Corruption,” Kamatori but in. “Why else would he lock us up?”

    “You stole a sacred scroll Kamatori!” Koyuki replied with a little shock in her tone.

    “Liberated, plus he wasn’t using it. We had use of it,” Kamatori said standing up and leaning against the door so he’d be able to hear their whispers.

    “It’s whatever Kamatori,” Inrukka reassured him. He turned his attention back to Koyuki, “have they ransacked our house?”

    Koyuki shook her head. “I’m not sure. I know a group was sent there yesterday, maybe, there was no smoke in the village.”