The Song

"Nurse?"

"Yes Ms. Brown?"

"Is there a bus that would pick me up from here and bring me to my house?"

"Yes and it should be here in about," she looks at her watch, "Five minutes."

"Ok thank you."

I walk out of the room and start heading towards the exit. I'm planning on sneaking out before Logan comes, because I couldn't bear to see my dad punch him again. School's on break for about two weeks so I won't see him till then, but anything's better than him getting hurt.

Once I'm outside I see the bus and I get in.

"Its a dolla per ride," says the driver.

"I don't have any money please I'm only asking one ride," I say.

"Okay."

"Thank you!" I say and I ask him to drop me off at the supermarket where I can then walk to my house.

After grabbing some food at the supermarket, I start my walk home. I realize I still have bare feet, I didn't know where Logan had put the shoes he got me. I shrug it off and continue down the road.

                       ~~~

"Hey are you okay?" Asks Logan as I wake up from my sleep outside in the cold.

"Ya he just made me sleep out here," I lie ignoring the pain in my side, "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to make sure you were okay," he says as I get up.

"I'm fine, really."

"Okay," he says smiling.

"How long can you stay?"

"However long you want."

"Wanna see something?"

"Sure."

"Oh, do you have a flashlight?"

"Ya."

"Did you walk here?" I ask.

"Ya it isn't that long of a walk," he says turning on his flashlight.

He catches up to me as I lead him through the woods and gently wraps his hand around mine. I stop shocked then take a deep breath and keep going.

"Should I let go? I'm sorry I shouldn't of-"

"No its fine, don't let go," I say.

I lead him for a ways gripping his hand gently feeling the comfort it brings me.

We finally make it to mother's tree and I turn around and say, "My mother used to take me here. We'd have picnics. I come here a lot, I wish you could see it in the sunlight."

"Its beautiful," he says starring at the amazing green weeping willow.

He goes up to it placing his hand on the bark as if he could absorb all the memories that filled this mighty tree. I sit down under the branches that stretch out high and droop down near the end. With my back against the trunk I pat the ground next to me and Logan sits down.

"I brought your shoes. They're by where I found you I had forgotten about them."

"Thank you, and don't worry about it I'll grab them later."

The pain in my side gets worse with every breath but I bury it down. The last thing I want is too go to the hospital for a long time again. Anyway I'm sure its just a little thing.