Chapter eight Schoolyard lessons

Chapter eight

Schoolyard lessons

(Thirteen)

“No shifting at school Daven,” stated the teacher after giving him a long lecture and leading him outside.

“I know, I know,” he muttered, shoving his hands in his pockets and walking over to where the group of Northern Ridge boys were sitting. 

“Told ya not to do it,” said Jagger, who was sitting on tree stump, watching the werewolf version of what someone might consider soccer. 

“It’s not like they’re humans here. I don’t see what the big deal is.” He sat down and leaned against the stump. 

“Just domestic,” said Archer. “The girls freaked out when you shifted backed.”

A smug look fell across Daven’s face. He may still be young, but he already knew he had a nice body. “One more year, and we’re done. School is such a waste of time.”

“I still have two more,” muttered Saigon who was sitting with Archer back to back. “What am I going to do when you’re all are done with school?”

“Hang with Raven,” laughed Archer. 

Daven shook his head. “Like my dad would let him go with out me around to make sure no one take advantage of our little sub.” He looked around. “Where the hell is he anyways?”

They all shrugged. 

“Maybe he’s inside?” said Jagger. “In the library or something.”

“That kid reads too much,” muttered Daven. “He makes me look bad.”

The other boys burst into laughter.

“If I were you, your twin being a bookworm should be the least of your worries,” said Jagger. He sat up and pointed near the jungle jim where a bunch of first grader were playing. “There he is. Looks like another guys taken an interest in him.”

Daven climbed to his feet and stared at the boy who was trying a little too hard to get close to his brother. “What a pain, can’t wait until I don’t have to babysit him anymore.” He marched off toward them. 

The other kids quickly ran out of his way. Daven was one of the larger boys at the school and everyone knew better than to get in his way. He had been sent home on multiple occasion for fighting. Which meant a lot, being that fights happened every day, and it was rare that they’d result in someone being sent home.

“Raven!”

The shy boy tucked a long stand of white hair behind his ear and backed away from the stranger. 

Daven stepped in front of his brother. “Who’s this?”

Raven shrugged. “He just wanted to talk.”

The boy eyed his opponent and folded his arms. “I’m-”

“Don’t care,” Daven cut him off and clenched his fists. “Stay away from my brother.”

“I wasn’t going to do anything.”

“I’m not stupid.” He glared at the strange boy. “So I’m going to tell you right now, touch him, and I will kill you.” He turned sharply and grabbed Raven’s hand. 

The small boy stepped in line behind his brother and followed him back to the Northern Ridge usual spot. 

“Sit,” Daven ordered.

“He wasn’t going to do anything,” said Raven, kneeling down and setting his bag down by his feet.

“You’re so naive,” laughed Jagger. “We could tell from here he was hitting on you and probably would have dragged you off to the nearest empty classroom if Daven had come and saved you.”