Chapter five: Jagger

Chapter five

Jagger 

(4 1/2 years old)

“You have to feel it in here.” Darius pointed to his youngest son’s chest. “An energy. Release it and picture yourself as human.”

Raven nodded and closed his eyes like he had seen his brother do. “I can’t,” he whined. 

Darius knelt down as he saw the boys eyes start to tear. Daven was sitting with his mother in human form, having master the process a week before. 

“It’s alright Raven.” Darius hugged his child. “Some people get it quicker than others. I didn’t learn to do it until I was five.”

The white wolf smiled slightly. “Really?”

“Really.” He grabbed his son’s tiny paws and kissed his nose. “Yes, in fact, your uncle Titus learned to shift before me, and he was even younger.”

The small boy laughed and hugged his dad. 

“Can we go outside now?” said Daven, who looked thoroughly bored. 

“It’s cold outside, so shift first.”

Raven stared at his brother in jealous as he changed into his black and red wolf. 

Darius picked the pouting boy up. “You’ll get it, don’t worry.”

*** 

(Five years old)

“Focus Raven,” coached Darius, as his son tried again to learn to change into a human. 

Every time the boy started to feel the energy being released he panicked and stop before the transformation could take place. 

“Daddy,” he whined, swaying from side to side. 

“It won’t hurt.” He clutched his son’s hands. “You watch me do it all the time.”

His ear fell flat and his tail curled around his leg.

“Daven,” called Darius. “Does it hurt?”

“Nope,” replied the boy, who was too busy playing with his toys then to pay attention. “Raven’s just scared.”

“I am not,” snapped Raven.

“You told me you were scared.”

Raven plopped down on the ground and folded his arms. 

“Raven, don’t be like that.” Darius stood his son up. “We’re figuring this out tonight. You old enough to be able to do this.”

“I don’t want to.” He struggled to get away from his father and refused to stand up.

“Raven, knock it off.” He said sternly with a growl. 

He did as his father asked and started to cry as the fear of angering his superior hit him.

Sighing, Darius hugged the boy to let him know everything was okay. He kept forgetting that he couldn’t be as stern with Raven as he had to be with Daven to get him to do something. The boy’s wolf couldn’t handle being scowled by someone as powerful as the future Alpha.

“Try again for me Raven.” He pulled the boy away from his chest and wiped the tears from his fur.

“It’s too hard,” he muttered.