Chapter 1

1974

A woman in her thirties is stirring a pot full of liquid and smoking. She grabs the pot and spoon and a wax mask. She places the liquid wax on the mask and makes it go around. She walks to her son and serves him more cereal.

"You are being such a good boy." She says to her son. "Would you like some more cereal, sweetheart? Here you go." She says and serves him more cereal.

Suddenly a man holding a child comes in. The child is kicking and screaming at the man. "He's really being a monster again today." He says trying to hold the child. "Trudy, goddamn it, help me." He yells trying to strap the child on his seat.

The wax mask falls to the floor breaking. "Ugh can't you be more careful?" She asked annoyed. "I'm doing the best I can. He's out of control." He says. "Sit still. Stop it!" Trudy yells sitting the boy on the chair strapping him. "Please hold him." She says and the boy is crying and screaming. "Don't do that. Stop kicking!" The man yells. "Ugh! Why can't you be more like your brother?" She asked and the other boy is calmly eating his cereal.

"Be quiet!" She yells. "Shut up!" She exclaims. Once they strap him they put tape around. Dry blood is noticeable on the straps and the boys hand starts to turn red.

The woman tapes around his right wrist then boy scratches her. She yells then slaps the boys face.

Present Day

Athena's POV

"There's a place in Tribeca for 3000." Paige my friend says to Carly. My eyes widen at the price and I eat my fry.

"That's still too expensive. The money I saved up won't cover two months rent." Carly says. "I could send you money if you want. I mean I could help." I say to her. "No I can't do that to my best friend." Carly says.

"Carly don't even think about not going." Paige says. "I'm not." Carly says with determination. "Good because you know how proud we are of you." Paige says smiling and I smile too. "I will punch the back of your head if you don't go." I said joking and Carly chuckles.

"Its just an internship." Carly says smiling. "At InStyle magazine. Or would you rather stay at the Waffle House as a waitress forever?" Paige asks. "No thanks." Carly says rolling her eyes. "Yup this is amazing Carly best thing ever to happen to you." I said sipping my ice tea. Carly smiles then sips her drink.

"Hey babe." Wade says surprising me and Paige. "Hi." Carly replies. "Sorry, there were these two rednecks wrestling in the bathroom." He says. I rolled my eyes at my cousin and Paige spoke up. "There's no rednecks in new York." She says. Wade gets uncomfortable and looks down then up and a sigh leaves his lips.

"No. There's not." He says and clears his throat. An uncomfortable silence falls and I just sipped my drink. "I'm gonna go see what Blake's doing." Paige says getting up. "He seems to like that car more than me nowadays." She says then leaves. Another silences falls.

"Now that we have a second-- And I'm not trying to make this a big deal. I swear. You know I want to have a good time on our road trip this weekend. But why on earth did your brother have to come with us?" Wade asks. I slap his arm and gave him the are-you-serious-look.

I got up and was about to walk in to wash my hands when nick comes out drinking a beer and Dalton behind him. "How you doing? Hello." Dalton says filming then points the camera at me. Then Nick kicks a homeless mans cup full of change. "What's up crow man?" Dalton asks and I roll my eyes. "Get a job." Nick says and I walk towards nick. "What the hell nick? Apologize to him or I swear to god I won't make food for you anymore." I said and nick immediately apologizes and I hand the man $5.

"Dude you're so whip." Dalton says to nick. Nick wraps his arm around my waist and kisses my collar bone. "I was an asshole. I'm sorry." He says and I kiss his cheek. We all walk towards the table and sit down. Dalton is on my left and nick on my right. Nick still has his arm around my waist and he takes a sip of his drink.

He offers me his drink and I decline his offer. "So, what do you think, guys? Gonna be a sweet game tomorrow, huh?" Wade asks. He tries so hard trying to make a bond with him but knowing nick he's only close to Dalton,Carly,and me. I take a sip of my ice tea.

"Yeah." Nick says and fake smiles at him. "Dalton, please don't film me." Carly says annoyed. "What?" Dalton asks being stupid. "I'm not filming now." He says. "The red light's on. Idiot." I said. "Put the camera down. She doesn't like having people up in her face." Nick says pushing Dalton's camera down.

"She folds under pressure." He says. "You got something to say to me?" She asks then flips her magazine for it to close. Oh boy here comes the fight. "No, I think you've already spoken enough for the both of us, don't you?" Nick asks his voice lowering. I elbowed Nick's ribs and I looked at Carly mouthing sorry and she nodded. "You guys are lame. I'm out of here. See you." Dalton says and takes some of my fries, I punched his arm and he runs away laughing.

I get up and nick follows me. I stand by a railing and put both my hands there. "Nina?" Nick asks calling my nickname. I turn around and he put the beer on the floor and hugs my waist. "When are both of you gonna stop fighting?" I ask. "I don't know." He answers and places a kiss on my lips. I wrap my arms around his neck and deepen the kiss. His tongue licks my bottom lip and I gave him entrance. His hands go up my red v-neck shirt and he lays his warm hands around my hip bone. A car honks and we both pull away.

"Let's go Romeo and Juliet!" Dalton says. We both walk towards wades car and get in the back. I close my eyes falling asleep for a minute then wake up to Dalton complaining. "Speaking of packed, my legs are killing me back here, man." He says. "Dalton why do you complain? You're short." I joked. "I'm 5'8 your 5'6 in a half. So I'd be quiet." He says jokingly and I roll my eyes. I hate being slightly shorter than him. "Don't worry, man, its not Wade's fault," finally they're bonding! "his little hot wheels car only fits two." Nick says leaning his head on my neck and he kissed it.

"Its more like a "shot wheels" car, isn't it? What did you do, go to the barber shop and ask for a He-Man haircut?" Dalton asked. Okay that part I let out a chuckle then punched Dalton's arm. "He's still my cousin stupid." I said and he let out a dramatic sigh. "Nick when you took Athena's virginity did she scream a lot? We noticed some scratches on your back when you came back from her house." Dalton jokes.

"Dalton shut up." Nick says tiredly. "But did she scream?" Dalton asked. "Dalton if you don't shut the hell up I'm gonna run you over with my cousins "shot wheels" car." I said annoyingly. Carly laughed and wade too. "What the hell?" I asked looking ahead. There was a sign flashing saying to go right. "This sucks." "So much for Blake's shortcut." I said.

Wade drives besides Blake's car. "I hope he's not gonna get us lost." Wade says. And nick grabbed my hand playing with my fingers. "I love you Nina." He whispers. I smile and kiss his cheek. "Love you too grumpy." I whispered and I can tell Carly is smiling at us.

Carly and I have been friends since freshman. I met her brother in a sleepover and we just connected. He would always pick me up after school take me to park and we would play football, take me to romantic dates at the carnival. He's always soft around me, but when he's with others he has a wall. Carly said she wishes she had the same relationship as ours because he's the bad boy and I'm a good girl.

I closed my eyes falling asleep and I felt Dalton waking me up but I ignored him. I just fell asleep in nicks arms.