Fifty-four

LEXION

With his head buried into the crock between her shoulder, he held onto her

With his head buried into the crock between her shoulder, he held onto her. It had to be painful as he held her with all he had, his arms straining about her. He knew it didn't matter what defense they put up, they were going to die.

He shouldn't have expected Nia to use the power he'd learnt her to harm Umbran. Even without her newfound love for the god, Nia still couldn't or maybe wouldn't harm anyone.

As much as it gratified him, it hurt that even with the dark god as a tutor she still was incapable of doing harm. So why hadn't Tania taken over? The wolf could've fought as she had with Leo.

Lex closed his eyes and breathed in the scent of his mate, loving that it had changed subtly since they mated. It now held undertones of his own scent, showing all the world that she was his. Well it would've but the dark power washing over them with unbearable pain put an end to that.

He gritted his teeth to stop himself from screaming. Her screams, sharp and pain filled shattered not only his ears but what was left of his soul. How could this be their fate? What had they ever done that they faced their brutal deaths moments after finally being together?

All the weeks they'd been apart. All the anguish he'd lived with just to have one sweet moment in time that was irrevocably shattered before they could savour it.

So he held her to him. Wishing for more moments with her but accepting their end. She was with him, the love of his life. The one being who held all he was safe. He had no regrets.

Yet the pain suddenly subsided and he was still breathing, could still feel her arms around him. Holding on just as tight. He couldn't recall when she'd turned in his arms, but her soft curves cushioned his hard body. Her breath tickled his neck and the heat between them was alive.

They clung together for a time, unable to believe the power that had felt like a flaying of their very beings had left them unscathed. Maybe they had died and reached the afterlife together. Whatever it was, if he had her he'd be okay. Lex never wanted to go a moment away from her. She was his, his love.

They drew apart a bit, then their hands mapped each other, frantic at first but then gentled as they realised their mutual wholeness. Her clear, tear filled beautiful eyes met his with so much wonder. He was sure he had the same look.

"We're alive!" They both said, though Nia seemed to question it. "How are you alive?" She continued and he knew she was asking about after the fight.

"The fates had the Dagda bring me back. Something about balancing your power."

She rushed back into his arms and kissed him with such delighted vigour he quickly lost his head. She tasted him like she'd been starved of him, her fingers digging into him. His wolf came forward to draw her roughly against him.

"I thought I lost you!" She cried when she came up for breath.

"I thought I lost you."he replied.

"Never again." She promised. "I can't believe I ever forgot you." She despaired as her hand busied itself with tracing his face and running through his hair. "My Lexion."

His wolf shivered at the claim, a growling purr emanating from him. "You're mine." His wolf stated.

Lex watched as Nia's eyes showed her own wolf taking over. "Yes." Tania agreed then kissed him.

He allowed Lexion to come all the way and was a spectator as he once again kissed his mate. A kiss that had only one conclusion. His hands made short work of her flimsy gown while Tania worked on his clothes.

Even while not in control, he cherished touching her, caressing her. Relished once again feeling her against him, moving with her as they explored the explosive passion between them.

There was an even more primal feel to the coupling between them, animalistic. An acceptance of their bond and need that went so deep and was so basic it had no need to be named.

He felt her pleasure at his touch, knew she felt his. It was like there was no longer a distinction between them, yet they were so aware of themselves. There was nothing else but them, no other sensation but their touch, taste and smell of each other.

It was almost painful. The need consuming and fighting to devour them in the same sense it wanted to savour each other. Painful pleasure that rose impossibly with each caress, each drink.

It felt like they'd die if they didn't give in, yet there was a certainty of an explosive end that might just leave them in its ashes. They strained, fought a passionate dance to that end. Their breaths became ragged, distraught yet felled with so much potential.

Then they clung together and screamed their defiance to the world. An empty uncaring world that nevertheless witnessed the engulfing forces that came together.

Life and death.

He screamed her name, she screamed his as they got caught at that inexplicable peak. Strained to hold on before crashing back to earth with all the speed and joy of a flamboyant comet. Panting, they held on to each other, their arms not so desperate but still wanting to cling.

"I love you." Lexion stated, a smile on his face.

Tania answered with a matching smile. "I love you my alpha."

The kiss they shared was warm, full of unspoken promises that would take a lifetime and more to be. "My human feels we need to get back to the others." He said after a while.

Tania looked around them at the twilight fogged forest they were in. The same forest Lex had met Nia's sister, where the Oracle had helped him access Umbran's realm. Where before he hadn't been able to, the fact that he'd mated to Nia meant there was no plain or realm he couldn't access if she was there. Now the godsblessed woman was nowhere to be seen.

Lexion had felt the worry of his pack mates, but he sensed their quiet joy. They would've felt the bond between them alpha pair deepening. Felt their own settling because of it.

"He's right." Tania agreed. "We both need a shower before we get back to re-affirming our bond." She smiled up at him.

He smiled back before helping her up. He took his shirt and helped her into it, her nightie looking a bit too worn. Taking up his jeans he redressed before sweeping her into his arms.

"Lexion!" She admonished.

"Consider me stuck to you."

Her arms went around her as she smiled up to him. "I can live with that."