Chapter Three

TANIA

"Then kill me

"Then kill me."

The words ripped through her, chilling her already cold heart. She hadn't thought he would stand there coolly regarding her as if they were having freaking morning tea or something. In fact, she hadn't planned anything.

His scent overwhelmed her, clean cedar with a hint of crackling firewood. It reminded her of being before a warm fire while the world outside was covered in snow. A shadow memory from when she was really young and secure in her world. Little knowing the pain and cruelty it held.

His voice was like a caress to the depth of her battered soul. Her wolf sang and purred her satisfaction with him. He was stunning, with dark unruly curls some of which fell into his eyes. They were a deep grey, their piercing depth clear like the still depths of a cold pond. A man who had never known much sorrow if any.

He had tan skin, the colour of ripe wheat against a sunset backdrop. Thick dark brows slashed across his strong ridge to be softened by the warmth radiating from his eyes. A high bridged nose gave way to lips that were too sensual for a male. He had a five o'clock shadow that looked too groomed to be that.

She wanted to touch him, longed to rub herself against him until her scent mingled with his. To mark him so any female would know he was taken. Her wolf urged her to do that and played a scene in her mind of her running into his welcoming arms and kissing him until they both forgot to breathe. But that was a fairy tale. He would turn out to be what he was, a cruel entitled alpha brat and he wouldn't want them.

There was no chance for them. She and Cadan were caught. Death, no matter how competent they were had found them. She could not rely on a mate, no matter how intoxicating his scent was. No matter that she was drawn to him in ways that she had never been drawn to ...

She couldn't kill him. Mates, normal mates, could not bear to hurt each other even when they hated each other. But she wasn't normal, she didn't make a normal mate. Even then she couldn't kill him. He knew it. He had to know it. Why else would he dare her to kill him?

'I'm with you all the way Nia.' Cade mind linked to her. They were not related, nor were they of the same pack yet they could mind link.

'This time we are screwed.'

'He is your mate' He replied his voice not betraying whatever he thought of the situation.

'Like it means anything.'

'Not all mates are like the other one you had.'