1-Spilled addiction

Time stood still as I wept, pouring my heart out in front of the graves of the people who meant the most.Mummy and Daddy. 

The horrific images of the crash flood my brain repeatedly. Blood so much blood and horrifically-death. My father,ultimately saving my life, and sacrificing his.

"My bumblebee,I know that I won't make it but you must promise me- that you will continue to love and smile.Smile that special smile.Be kind-" his hand drops lifelessly from my unruly hair. My mother reaches to wipe my tears and continues to beautifully smile. Repeating his words softly "Be kind"

Be kind.Death wasn't kind. I knew that. It snatched where it could, taking people who were far too young, far too good. It didn't pretend to care, it didn't pretend to distinguish.

Death had ripped away a part of me, my mummy and daddy.

Now I would sit staring for hours. My face haunted, my mind cold and empty.

It was raining.It wasn't just rain, it was a downpour as heavy as it could be. The drops struck the already wet sidewalk, pitting the surface like they were bullets from above. There was no harm in it, life would be just the same after the storm had passed.

I wept and pondered,pondered pondered.

****************

After what seemed of hours, with a sudden newfound resolve, I wiped the remaining tears that trickled down my cheeks mixed with rain and snot. I was always an ugly crier.

Then before the grave, I promised. I will continue to love and be kind and be my amazing self. I cried and I will wait for the sun to come out- it always does.

That's when during my intense mumbling I felt a hand clasp my shoulder, making me jolt in shock.

"Lovely, let's go" My aunt Sarah smiled, her eyes rimmed with red but filled with steely bravery. After the crash, Aunt Sarah had been the only alive relative that she could turn to. She had moved far away when she was three but she had the same eyes as my Mama. Their light brown color was soft, the exact shade of a latte. A ring of gold hung inside her iris, adding another layer of depth to her already beautiful eyes.

It was already decided that I would move to a new place, a new home.

I could only move forward.

" Come on then, let's go the car lovely. Well done for packing everything so well." The praise made me beam softly and with a small smile- I grabbed her hand and we walked away.

As I turned back for a final glance , I could have swore that there was something glowing around the graves,reflecting in the raindrops left behind in the rain.Blinking. 

At that the very moment, I could feel it.Hope. Something amazing awaits.

As soon as I reached the red Honda, I patted my pockets for the absolutely, most amazing thing to ever exist ( I mean for me there was an entire list of goodies: cupcakes,ice-cream,chicken nuggets, any meat ( but if I had to choose I mean it would have to be chicken obviously), chocolate,sweeties, the list would go on and on), my strawberry gum. So sweet,scrumptious. But apparently it wasn't a food. Opening the wrapper, hardly being able to contain my giddy excitement, I popped the sweet treat into my mouth.

With the sweetness, came happiness as always.

 I was silent ( which was very unlike me)  for the whole journey, soft jazz filling the comfortable silence. Aunt Sarah drummed her fingers melodiously on the steering wheel. The music that plays  is a song I've heard and thousand times before and never enough. The chords are like a well worn path, one my  brain follows so willingly. I was feeling so sleepy and in a daze,I pulled my gum out of my mouth, wrapping it in the wrapper and placing it into my hoodie dress pocket, promising myself to discard of it properly

 In moments I was asleep, body relaxed, breathing steadily.

********

I was shaken softly awake, I mumble "let me sleep, yes I am a lazybone-ya know"Man was that person persistent. Opening my eyes with my signature grumpy face,pouting at the attacker.

"Darling, sorry we're here"she laughed, unable to keep from grinning down at me." Let me show you to your room and I will make some pancakes for dinner. Na na - it's only today for a special treat- missy" At that I leaped out of the car with this astonishing amount of energy that even I knew I wasn't capable of.Her laugh echoed. Using my amazing skills of using my instincts, I arrived at the jackpot after three failed attempts. My mouth agape, woah. My room.So big and cute.I immediately dashed the huge, fluffy bed, my mouth muffled  my the soft duvet "Honey,I'm home" I rubbed my cheek against the super duper soft blanket like a cat. I couldn't wait to sleep. That could wait though. I sat up, my eyes again widening comically, my mouth still open, I probably looked like a fish.

A cute fish. Obviously. There was an absolutely huge bookshelf- I could put my books and new books there. There was a lovely window seat thingie with cute pillows  and a walk in closet- I only saw them in movies. And my own bathroom- with a big tub. I was so excited for tub time.

"Auntie, you are so rich, it is so beautiful, oh my god are those fairy lights and glow in the dark stars- there are so cute".

"I am glad you like it honey,"

" Unpack your things, sweet pie. That should be all of suitcases." She said looking over at the delivery driver who nodded his head in return.Placing the last suitcase on the floor, it was then all of a sudden, it clicked open.

Oh no.

With that the whole room went still.The two delivery men and Auntie both turned to look at me in disbelief. I blushed carnation red.

"Um,um,um" I tried to desperately save myself from this totally embarrassing situation. My addiction out there in public. The whole suitcase filled to the brim with tons and tons of chewing gum. Tons and tons enough to last an average person a whole year.

"Sweetheart, you know they do have gum here in the Dale District- it's not only found in one place"She managed to get out through her fit of laughter.

The two delivery men were also laughing hysterically. Their faces turning red. " May the lord keep you forever innocent" At that they each pat my head. Turning to leave the room, I could hear their chuckles.

I looked at my aunt who was still smiling giddily. At that, she left the room.