ch. 33 • friends

"He had gained consciousness. You may go inside," Pryce stated. I went to Roman's bedside. He seemed weak, but definitely looked better than he did before the treatment. And he still looked handsome. I don't know how he looked good right after he was unconscious for a whole day, but he managed.

"Are you feeling alright? Is anything weird?" I asked.

Roman groaned, shutting his eyes then opening them again. "I'm fine."

Then out of absolutely nowhere, he asked, "Can we be friends?"

I was so confused? "What? I mean, why now?" I asked back.

"It'll be fun. We can be friends, instead of just whatever this contract thing is. We're definitely not strangers anymore, that's for sure."

"And have those stupid sleepoevers?" I squinted my eyes at him.

"You didn't die in there, did you?"

"Friends don't just kiss each other." I got a little upset and hurt that maybe the kiss didn't mean anything to him. I then remembered he's had sex with more girls than I can count, and none of it ever meant a thing to him.

"I just want to still keep in touch and hang out after, you know, we part."

There it was again. The smile immediately left my face and was replaced by a forlorn expression.

"Listen, I don't do relationships. Never have. But we can still be friends. Go out for a coffee sometimes," Roman suggested as he tried sitting up. I tried to help but he said no with his hand.

"Roman, you don't even drink coffee," I regained composure. I can't believe I was attaching my feelings to him. Dumb, stupid heart.

"I always can if it meant getting to sit you down for five minutes," he said as he checked out the needles plugged into his veins. Why did he even want to spend time with me? He was confusing my feelings.

"Sit me down? You're the one that keeps going to work all the time?" I don't know what got me so agitated. Actually I did. It was the parting sentence.

"Liana, I was just unconscious for 20 hours. I'm really not in the mood."

"Right, sorry. I'll let you rest a while." What was I even thinking. I was so stupid sometimes. Everything that happened recently just reminded me how dumb I was.

"Can you call Pryce? I want to get out of here asap," Roman said, looking rather disgusted at the machines showing his vitals. I nodded and went out.

Friends. He wanted us to be friends. I wonder what got into him for him to suddenly suggest that right after he regained consciousness. Roman was absurd. Everything about him was too. And so was me liking him way more than I should. I knew better.

Roman came home that night. He hated it in the hospital. He asked to stay in his room and rest. Peter tagged along too and decided he wasn't going to stay here and help out in any way. I appreciated him so much.

"Don't turn into a wolf," I said. "I don't have enough meat in the fridge to feed you."

"Don't worry, I won't," Peter laughed.

Conveniently, I started my period that night. This was actually a good way to test if the treatment worked. I went to Roman's room, on the pretense of taking a shower. Thankfully Peter wasn't there.

Roman was on his bed, with a blanket on. He opened an eye. "Yes?"

"Um, you said I could use your bathroom anytime. So I came here to shower."

Roman shook his head. "Girls."

"Huh?" I tilted my head sideways and looked at him. "What?"

"Nothing," he said. "Go on. Take your stupid shower."

He was in one of those moods again. Of course, I'd probably be too if I had come out of an operation.

The week had passed, and Roman didn't seem to react at all to me being on my period. Since he stayed home, I checked how much blood he had. He only had a bag. In an entire week. The treatment had worked.

I got more excited than I'd like to admit. I had actually done something that helped someone. Wasn't that what being a physician's assistant was all about? It worked, and I didn't know where to even share this.

Roman caught me being excited. "You seem to be in a fantastic mood whenever you bring me food. What is up with you?"

"You just got well, I'm happy," I said.

"Because I drank that one blood bag?"

"Roman, I went through my period and you didn't even notice," I said.

Roman's confused expression broke into a smile. "Really?"

"Uh huh," I smiled back. "It actually worked."

"Yeah, yeah; I guess it did," Roman looked down and nodded. "Hey, thank you again for your help with all that. I know you don't want a thank you, but I mean it."

"You're welcome, although I probably would've done it anyway," I said, giving Roman his food, then left. He thanked me for probably just being there. But I would do everything for him all over again. I don't know why, but I would.

Roman decided he needed to go to work again after his week-long break, and so I saw less and less of him. Which was fine, sort of. I missed him being around. But I was glad I had classes to keep me busy. My final semester of PA school was approaching; it was rather strange to think about.