ch. 16 • predicament

The next few days, Roman's mood went from somewhat nice to back to how he used to be. Cold and blunt. I figured it had something to do with Olivia. I continued trying to work on finding a cure to his blood thirst. Or something to tone it down. It didn't bother me as much as it did at the beginning, especially knowing he used blood substitutes instead of actual human blood.

I started avoiding him again 1. To not get into trouble with him any more than I had to and 2. I got my period again, and like always, I remembered to stay away.

And when that ended, my first encounter with him was the typical one. He stormed in the house while I snacked on a fruit bowl.

"What's wrong?" I asked, still munching on berries.

"Pryce is driving me nuts. He wants me to transfer $40,000 to his research department and isn't telling me why. If I don't, he'll stop giving me blood substitute. Fuck him. Fuck all of this," Roman yelled.

I put down my fruit bowl. "I can talk to him," I said.

"And what will you say?" Roman raised an eyebrow. He lit a cigarette that made me roll my eyes. He's going to get lung cancer some day.

"Leave that to me. I need the budget files for the company," I told him. "You know, to see some patterns."

"You don't know shit about business," Roman said.

"Okay, do you want Pryce to get off your back or not?" I crossed my arms.

"Fine, I'll get them sent to you. I'm going to my room. I need space," Roman said.

'Yes, and the sky is blue," I mumbled.

"I'm sorry, did you say something?" Roman looked at me.

"Nope. Just me going back to enjoying my fruit. Go on," I fake smiled.

The next morning, I didn't have class nor a test in the following days, so Roman decided it would be good if he and I went to the institute together. That way, I could have my little chat with Pryce and we could do the whole fake marriage thing as well.

Even though it's been almost six months, every time we had to pretend to be in love, my heart sunk knowing none of it was real. As horrible as Roman was, I wouldn't lie and say I didn't have a crush on him. He was too gorgeous for his own good, and if he'd lose his arrogant, I'm-too-important-to-be-bothered, temperamental attitude, he'd be perfect. Unfortunately, that would probably never happen, and the sooner I gave up on that small wish, the better.

Roman decided to show me Pryce's lab, the place all the institute's innovative, money-making ideas spring forth from. I was taken aback by how creative and smart all the scientists here were. Guess it wasn't a billion-dollar company on its own.

"Mrs. Godfrey, how peculiar to see you here," Dr. Pryce said. Mrs. Godfrey. That would take time to get used to.

"Dr. Pryce," I nodded. "It's good to see you again."

"Likewise," he said." What brings you here?"

"My husband was telling me about the many things you do. It's quite impressive. You are a genius, doctor," I said looking at Roman then subtly nodding. Roman stepped back.

"I take great pride in it too. Also, please call me Johann."

"May I have a word with you?" I asked.

Dr. Pryce looked at all the scientists and interns working and sighed. "I suppose. Follow me."

Roman came forward and whispered in my ear." Remember not to do anything stupid. If I lose this company or any of my profits, it won't end well for you. I can promise you that"

"What a creative way to say thank-you," I replied back and smiled as I followed Pryce. Roman doesn't trust me. It hurt inside that even now he probably just thinks I'm here for the money and don't care at all about him. But I had to get that off my head right now. The focus now should be talking sense into Pryce.