ch. 15 • what happened?

"What?" I yelled. "Wasn't she sick or something? Wasn't she gone? Why on earth would you keep me from that information?"

"This is exactly why, Liana. Roman wanted you far away. Olivia is a monster with no restraints. And she hated you. Not a good combination."

"But why is she here?" I asked. I sensed my heart beating fast. Something was very off.

"I don't really know. Roman apparently got a call this morning and got to know that Olivia was coming, so he freaked out. And he decided to tell me and make sure you were away. That's all I know."

"Well, we gotta go," I said.

"No. This is his issue with Olivia. Let him deal with it. You going there will make everything worse. I know it. Please," Peter said.

"Okay. Goodnight," I said.

"Night," Peter said back.

Of course I didn't get much sleep, losing my head over what went on between Roman and Olivia. She could do anything, and that made me fear for Roman. I hope he handled it all okay.

The next morning, Peter and I said goodbye to my mother and headed back. Again, it was a quiet ride. There wasn't a lot to say. And I preferred being left alone when thoughts were pestering my head.

As soon as I stepped in the house, I spotted Comway cleaning up glass. I shook my head.

"Upstairs," Comway said. I thanked him and ran up. I ran to Shelley's room but she wasn't there. Peter followed me upstairs.

"They must be in his room." Peter said. "Why aren't you walking?"

"I-I don't know where Roman's room is."

Peter looked surprised. "Uh, right. Follow me."

We opened the door to finding Roman hugging Shelley tightly and rocking her. "Shell, it's okay," he said.

"Shelley?" I whispered. Roman looked at me then back at Peter.

"Liana." Shelley smiled and looked at me. I gave her a hug. "Peter."

Peter came and sat next to Shelley.

"We'll be back," Roman told Shelley and pointed to the door with his chin. I nodded, and we headed out to go to my room.

"Why was she here?" I asked.

"Can Peter do anything right?" Roman rolled his eyes.

"What happened?" I asked. "Please tell me."

Roman clenched his jaw and tightened his fists. "I fucking hate her. But she won't bother us anymore."

"Roman, what happened? That's not a lot of details."

"Can you stop trying to know everything? I'm telling you she's not going to bother us again. That's all."

"Well, why can't you just tell me? It's not that hard to just tell people who care about your problems."

Roman slammed his palm against the coffee table. The glass shattered right then, and a piece cut him. Poor Comway.

I grabbed Roman's hand, but he pulled it away. "I'm fine. Sorry for this," his voice softer than it was a few seconds ago.

"Can you please tell me what went on last night?" I looked at him. "Please?"

"Fine, you win. I got a call from one of the staff yesterday, and he informed me Olivia was coming. I figured it couldn't be good, so I had to make sure to get you out of the way. As soon as you left, I tried getting Shelley out too but couldn't. Olivia came in, looking paler and truly like a zombie. Guess her upir days took a turn on her, but I couldn't care any less. She threatened to take Shelley away, and that shit went on for a while, but I made it clear that that won't be happening. And then she said she was quote un quote 'sorry for dragging my poor boy into this contract, but I realized how it was like putting a muzzle on you'. I declined her offer and told her to leave."

"Is that all?" I asked.

"Yes. Unless you want me to recall every single word that came out of that fucking monster's mouth. She sickens me. But she's out."

"Okay, what did you do?" I asked.

"Confidentiality, sweets," he said as he got up and left me alone in my room. So of course there was a whole part he wasn't telling me. And I knew he probably won't. 

►▸ note: yeah, I know this was boring, but this was sort of a filler chapter. it'll get better. I hope 🤞🏼