ten.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST PLAYING THE SONG

Avery's POV

I had finally gotten the signature for Carmen.

If I were to die in this show, my final wish would be to have that knife sent to her. She would be able to cook with it, maybe-- and the name scrawled across the flat edge would give her a constant reminder of the star that I once had an alliance with.

Harry was my friend now.

I wondered if he thought the same. The way he was holding me closely in his sleep made me believe that. But who knows, maybe it's a habit of his? It wasn't any of my business, but it sure did make me feel comfortable.

"Good morning." he said, his voice groggy from the previous slumber. I flashed him a smile but my nose scrunched up when the horrible aroma of decaying corpse greeted my senses. Of course we had forgotten about the bodies.

"Morning." I said, and took off my jacket. Harry stared at me for a moment before taking his off too. His semi-long hair flopped, plus taking the Packers sweatshirt off took the bandana off with it.

"It was dirty anyway." he smiled gently and picked up between his two forefingers. I nodded and took it from him, slipping it in my back pocket. Like he had said, it had more than one use.

"Hungry?"

"Yeah." I answered truthfully. The last time I had eaten was at dinner, and I knew the both of us had hardly touched our food. My mind wandered to yesterday's mischievous actions and if they were coming to bring us consequences today.

"Well, it's 11:39." Harry said, and my first instinct was to raise an eyebrow. There was no way he could know the exact time unless--

"You stole the watch back from Jonah?"

He nodded proudly. It felt good to know the person I was teamed with was smart and full of dexterity. My thoughts would be that he would die on such a mission, but I guess I was wrong.

"Let's have some breakfast."

We took a look on the screen outside the kitchen to see only 12 remained, which was a dramatic drop from 19. Everyday the numbers were diminishing and it worried me to think that maybe me or Harry could be added to that lost population.

"What are the names of the dead?" I asked, my voice numb. Harry could read the pain in my voice, so his words were beyond gentle.

"Ivy, Orion, Candy, Bradley, Zach, Luke, Calum, Ashton, Michael." he stopped for a moment. "The rest were killed by someone else. Amanda, Macy, and Tom."

"That's 12 dead total." I calculated. The thought of 12 dead bodies just piling up and rotting away tugged at me, which I quickly dismissed. "24 minus 12 is... 12."

I shivered.

"It's okay, Aves." Harry consoled me, his rather large hand scaling up and down my back. It soothed me a little, but not enough to get the dark thoughts out of my mind. This whole thing was disturbing. Downright disturbing, and I was starting to wish I had never signed up. Pools and cell phones weren't worth all of this.

"It'll be over soon." he said.

Yeah, it'll be over when I die.

We ate a breakfast of waffles and sausage in near silence. The only sound that could be heard was the silverware clanging on our plates. When everyone was done, the players left one by one until it was just Harry and I.