No Longer a Refuge

The boat finally reached its destination and Roma found herself reluctant to disembark, preferring to float forever on the Nile free from the visions and dreams that had plagued her on land. Father Nile had proven her protector, his waters shielding her from the apparition that haunted her since the first terrifying appearance at the foot of her cot in the tomb.

Sitting on her bed in the cabin she decided that she could not leave. Whatever haunted her had its roots in the sands of Egypt. If she remained here it simply could not find her.

"Come, Roma, we must leave now." Ardeth stood in the doorway, now clad in his customary black robes. How different he seemed to her, the son of the Med-Jai no longer seemed strange and arrogant, instead there stood the man who watched over her so tenderly and was such a considerate lover.

"I can't, Ardeth, I am afraid."

"Afraid of what?" He came and sat next to her, taking her hand and gently stroking it.

"I am afraid, I am afraid it will find me. It followed me to Cairo, but the waters of the Nile have protected me, I will no longer have them as a shield once I step on land."

"I will protect you," he said simply, "Anything that might hurt you will have to come through me. You'll feel better back in your home, I promise. Come." He stood and held out his hand, she took it, feeling comfort in the strength of his touch.

The O'Connells were waiting for them by the gangplank. They led the way and she followed with Ardeth, still wishing that she could remain on board the ship. She cast back one look of longing, suppressing the urge to run back and lock herself in her cabin.

Rick hailed a cab, one of the many drivers Roma knew well. The driver drove quickly to the house and deposited them with their baggage, then sped off to find a new fare.

Evelyn remarked at the beauty of the house, its pink stucco exterior shaded by giant palms so old that no one knew when they were planted. Roma, however, saw it differently, this was the last place she had seen her father alive. So strong was the feeling that as she stepped inside, her urge to cry became so powerful that she could not fight it and threw herself onto a sofa and burst into tears.

Samir, her major-domo came in, anxious to see what was wrong with his mistress. Ardeth curtly ordered him to prepare tea and have the luggage removed to the missy's room and the other guests. Samir bowed, and with a look of concern at Roma, obeyed the stern-faced Med-Jai.

Evelyn sat next to her and held her hand, "My dear, I am so sorry for your loss. We did not think of the painful memories you might have here."

"I am sorry, I hoped that when I came back the reminiscences would be happier. I grew up in this house and spent many happy hours here. My father entertained all sorts of people, including Howard Carter's tutor Flinders Petrie, and Ardeth's father. This is where I learned to be an archaeologist." She shook her head and wiped away the tears still welling in her eyes. "This is the last place I saw him, I said goodbye and expected to see him in Cairo."

Samir appeared, bearing the tea tray. He set it down on the table in front of the sofa and poured tea for the four of them then left, bowing as he exited the room.

Ardeth sat next to Roma and she leaned her head in gratitude against his strong shoulder. "So, what do you want to do?" he asked her in a gentle voice.

"I don't know, it's too hard to think. Evelyn, when are you supposed to meet with Carter?" Roma's mind took refuge in business as if that would drive the unpleasant memories.

"Let's see, I have a letter," Evelyn dug around in her bag, "Here it is, I am to report to him in a week if it is convenient. I did not know how long it would take to make arrangements to get Alex in school and arrange for transportation to Luxor."