Ghost Mists

If the desert was treacherous in the heat of the day, it was equally perilous at night. The road was mainly sand pressed down by the weight of vehicles traversing it, but it was not clearly defined. Roma would have driven as fast as the Range Rover would go, but it was not advisable. Stray from the basic track and tires could be trapped by the treacherous sands, and it was not just her but the whole caravan that would suffer the consequences.

A further complication had arisen. Sometimes mists form in the desert and at night they took on an unearthly and deadly quality. This one had seemed to have appeared out of nowhere. It was not solid fog, but swirled around, like ghosts whirling through the air, seeming at times to swoop down blocking Roma's vision.

"This is no ordinary fog," said Ardeth, "It has a will of its own. Take care and do not go fast, the other drivers will not like it but this seems to have a deadly intent, may Allah protect us!"

Then the wailing started up and Evie covered her ears, saying, "Make it stop, make it stop, I cannot bear it!" She started sobbing and buried her head in Rick's shoulder.

Ardeth leaned over the seat and put his warm hand on Evie's thigh to comfort her. "Do not listen to the voices, your fear gives them power. They will disappear with the mist." Evie, still sobbing, nodded, her fears not assuaged but comforted just the same.

Just don't let an animal run in front of me, Roma prayed, trying to see the faint marks of the road through the mist. Just how long would this devil fog last, anyway? She peered ahead, watching for signs of the road. If they got off track they would be lost and would not find their way back until dawn—if the fog had lifted by then.

She was growing tired and gratefully let Rick take over for her. Their sleep had been interrupted by the events of the previous night and they all were tired, but there was no option but to continue. It was a long drive to the Luxor ferry, but as they grew closer to the towns on its outskirts the road would improve. In the meantime, there was nothing to do but drive.

She and Evie held tightly onto one another. "Do try and sleep Evie," Roma said, "It will make it easier for you. I know we are driving slowly, but we must. You're not alone, we will keep you safe."

Long hours passed, but lights from the first villages soon appeared like little twinkling stars. The mist reluctantly dissipated as they grew closer to the Nile. Roma almost clapped her hands in glee at the welcome sight of the great river.

Home, she thought, we're almost home. He hasn't gotten us, not yet, but I can fight him on my terms in Cairo.

The first streaks of dawn were concealed by the mist, but as the hot summer sun broke through it was consumed by the early summer heat. The green Nile waters sparkled in the sun, bordered by the lush bands of cultivation.

The great white ferries sat at their docks, smoke coming from their funnels. The sight of the ferries filled Roma with hope, soon they would be home, and on familiar ground.

They pulled along the roadside and Roma took out the strongbox and distributed wages to the men. The drivers of the lorry that carried the sarcophagus received half their wages and would receive the remainder when the sarcophagus and skeletons were unloaded in Cairo.

"I want to go home, Ardeth," but she meant Luxor, not Cairo. Like it or not, they would have to make the trip to Cairo.

"You can't, Evie will be safer in Cairo and you have to deliver the coffin and sarcophagus to the Cairo Museum."

"Let us go then," she said, "I want to take them directly to the museum, I don't want that sarcophagus in my house."

They drove into the bowels of the ship. Since it was early, they were able to bribe the steward into assigning them a large, roomy stateroom. They would be able to get some much-needed rest. The drivers could remain with their vehicles, or take turns watching the treacherous cargo.