From Minya to Cairo to Danger?

Minya had been around since the time of the pyramid builders and had been part of a major trade route in the Levant. Perhaps because of this, the town had not died away, but unlike many of its counterparts had survived the various conquests of Egypt and flourished.

It was not merely a stopping-over point for the ships that made the journey up and down the Nile, there were also hotels and shops and other conveniences designed to attract the money of the many foreign tourists who brought their currency to Egypt.

Roma purchased galabiyas, the cotton robe worn frequently by ordinary Egyptians, but there were also shops where she could purchase western style clothes for herself. She picked out a beige linen suit and a blue blouse, a pink blouse and a skirt, and a comfortable white shirt. The journey to Cairo was only 150 miles so she would wait to have their dirty garments washed when they returned home.

They boarded early the next morning, Ardeth having seen to their camels. The stateroom he had booked was just big enough to be comfortable for the day's journey. They would reach Cairo that night.

Once he had seen her settled, he went on deck to smoke a cigarette. Though he made this trip for her sake, he was not comfortable amongst so much "civilization". He was not prepared when the boat took off with a shudder and for a moment, he lost his footing but righted himself.

"You okay there?" He felt the touch of a hand on his shoulder and turned to find the face of Rick O'Connell staring at him. They shook hands delightedly, he was happy to see the tall handsome American, his companion in so many unexpected adventures.

"O'Connell," he said, "I thought you had returned to England."

"We did, but England proved far too cold and dreary. Evie and I both missed Egypt so we put our son in boarding school and returned to assist on a dig in Abydos. We're going to Cairo to consult with an archaeologist friend of hers, then we plan to return and assist Howard Carter with the removal of grave goods from Tutankhamen's tomb."

"Carter actually found an intact tomb?" Rick looked and saw an attractive blond woman come to Ardeth's side. "I was wondering if it was just going to be another one of his follies."

Rick took a good look at her. She was slender, attractive, and had cut her blond hair fashionably short. "Yes, ma'am, he did. One of the archaeologists working for Carter became ill and my wife was invited to take his place. The tomb was just recently opened but it contains some fantastic finds."

"I'm sorry, but I think I've met you and your wife once before but I can't recall your name. I'm Roma Wilkes-Emberly, my father is..."

"Yes, I know," he replied, "My wife is an admirer of his work. I'm Rick O'Connell and my wife Evelyn works in the Egyptian Department of the British Museum."

"Yes, I recall now. Tell me, where are you and your wife staying? Do you have a house in Cairo?"

"We had thought to put up at a hotel until we return to Luxor. It will only be a few days before we leave again."

"No, don't rent a hotel room, come and stay with my father and me. Our house has plenty of rooms and it's delightfully cool. Plus, we have an excellent cook. You'll be far more comfortable with us than in a hotel. Besides, you won't be charged extra to have your laundry done.

"I'll have to ask Evie but I'm sure she'll be delighted, especially since she will be able to discuss Egyptology with someone who actually understands what she is talking about. Good morning, Miss Wilkes-Emberley,  Ardeth." He lumbered off to find his cabin.

Ardeth felt uncomfortable in his new clothes, but it did feel good to be wearing clean garments again. He tied his hair back and was not too unhappy with his reflection in the mirror.