Chapter 12: Put Down The Meat Cleaver

Author's note: Dedicated to Plain-and-Simple for the hilarious comments. Thank you to everyone who has been sending me covers/banners , for some reason Wattpad won't let me upload more than one image but I am trying to figure out a way for you to see them all.

Anyway, enjoy!

*******************************

Chapter 12: Put Down The Meat Cleaver

"I mean, I think he's attractive, but I don't think he's that attractive," I said, taking a sip of my coffee.

Cactus, who was perched on the kitchen counter opposite me, did not respond.

"He's got pretty eyes and I guess his hair is kinda nice too," I continued, "but he's just not my type."

Cactus' plastic face remained emotionless. Her blue eyes stared off into the distance, completely uninterested.

"Alright," I sighed. "I know I don't exactly have a type, but if I did then Luke would not be it. And yeah, his jaw is all angular and stuff and he's a really good height for me but-"

I stopped talking.

"Did you hear that?" I whispered, my eyes going wide in panic. I knew full well that Cactus could not hear me, or understand me either, but voicing my thoughts aloud always seemed to help calm me down.

From outside the house, I heard another loud bang.

I froze.

Maybe it was a cat? Not that anybody in our neighborhood owned a cat, but it seemed like the most rational explanation.

Then, as if the world was listening in on my thoughts and wanted to prove me wrong, I heard the front door open.

Shit.

Were we being burgled? No, that couldn't be it. No burglar in their right mind would break into my house, out of all the other houses they could have possibly chosen. Besides, didn't burglars always break into houses at night? Not on Sunday afternoons.

Maybe it was just my family, back from Sam's football practice. Glancing at the clock hung behind me, I noticed it was at least two hours before they were expected to be back. Maybe it had ended early?

I waited patiently for any other sounds, but there were none.

Breathing a sigh of relief, I was just about to sit back down when I heard footsteps.

Oh my God.

This was it.

I was about to die.

As quietly as I could, l grabbed a knife from inside one of the kitchen drawers and held it out in front of me. My hands were shaking so badly I was terrified I would drop it and accidentally chop a toe off or something.

"Alright whoever you are come out," I said, trying to keep my voice as steady as I could.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Luke asked, walking into the kitchen right as I let out an ear piercing scream .

"OH MY GOD!" I yelled, not sure whether to be relieved or angry. "What are you doing here?"

"I just came to check on Cactus." Luke held his hands up in the air and backed away from me. "Why are you holding a meat cleaver?"

"Self defense," I glared at him. "How did you even get inside?"

"Before I answer any of your questions, could you put down the meat cleaver?" Luke asked, glancing worriedly at the knife in my hands. "Its freaking me out."