Chapter 5: I'd Rather be Knocked Out by a Frying Pan

When I finally stumbled down the stairs on Monday morning I was ready to pass out right there and then on the kitchen table. But of course, as luck would have it, there was one thing stopping me. A small plastic monster named Cactus. No wait, I'm not talking about the plant. I'm talking about the baby.

After almost two hours of arguing, I had finally given in and let Luke name the baby after what he claimed was his 'favorite plant.' His exact words were 'if Kim Kardashian can name her baby after a direction then I can name my baby after my favorite plant.' If that boy ever somehow manages to find someone to have kids with then I really hope they can stand their ground better than me. Although, to be fair, he said if we didn't name the baby Cactus then he wouldn't drive me home. You can see why I gave in very quickly.

"You look like hell," Sam announced, as I walked over to the fridge. I watched in disgust as he put his mouth directly on the orange juice carton and took a swig.

"I am so glad I don't like orange juice," I said, pulling a face and grabbing an apple instead.

"Honey, you're not sick are you?" My mom asked when I took my seat at the kitchen table.

"No, mom. I'm fine," I mumbled, but nonetheless she placed a hand on my forehead and stared at me, her eyes wide in concern.

"Was it the baby?" She asked, gesturing to Cactus, who was sitting on my lap.

I nodded and she immediately smiled in understanding.

I'd been stuck with the plastic doll all weekend and I was totally ready to shove that thing into Luke's arms and run away as far and as fast as possible. Since I worked at the bakery most days after school Luke had agreed to take the baby on weekdays. However, since we didn't have to take care of the baby during school hours, Luke got to spend barely any time it.

Unluckily for me, it seemed that Cactus adored Luke and despised me. I know, I know, it's a plastic doll. It probably can't even tell who's who, but no matter what I did the little monster would never stop crying around me.

"Ella, how about I drop you to school today?" My dad offered, putting down his newspaper.

"Could you? Thanks dad!" I exclaimed, almost crying in relief.

After spending Friday evening at Luke's house (or should I say mansion) I had completely forgotten about Penny, my bike, which had been left at school. Without my bike I would've had to walk to school and I definitely wasn't in the mood for that.

Once I'd shouted a quick goodbye to my mom and grabbed all my stuff, I rushed into my dad's car. I was already running late and I really didn't want my permanently cranky Math teacher yelling at me so early in the morning.

"So Ella," my dad began and I instantly stiffened.

He was using that all too familiar tone.

He wanted to talk about one of my least favorite subjects, the future.

"Yes Dad?" I asked, forcing a smile.

"Now, I know you've applied to a few different colleges and you've got a few different ideas in mind of what you want to do in the future, but I mean as your father I feel like it's my job to guide you in what I believe is the right direction."

I nodded, keeping the same forced smile on my face.

"You have so much potential and I think, if you put your mind to it, you could really do something a little more than just baking cakes for the rest of your life," he pulled a face at the 'baking cakes' part and I tried hard not to jump out of the car there and then.