Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven.

I couldn't believe it. Two weeks had gone past since I had gone to Dane's house and I still couldn't process what had happened that evening. He laughed with me, flirted with me...touched me...well my hair but still! That hadn't happened to me before, guys didn't talk to me like that, I had never been in a situation like that and it was ever so weird. I loved it and enjoyed it but for one strange reason, a part of me didn't. I almost felt as if what had gone on was unreal, a figment of my overactive imagination and I literally had to pinch myself a couple of times to convince myself that it was the real thing.

A part of me expected it to only be a one day thing, maybe Dane was just in a really good mood that day and just wanted to flirt but that was not the case. The following days seemed to be almost movie-like, a bit like those scenes you see with music over them so you can't hear the conversations the people are having but you can tell they're having awesome time.

Dane and I began to talk much more. At first it started off by actually saying 'hello' to each other when we saw each other in the corridors rather than just smiling and then, after that, it just started to grow. In the lessons that we had together he'd more times than not sneak into the seat next to me and we'd talk to each other throughout the whole lesson, much to the annoyance of our teachers and Aaliyah who thought I was being in her words 'stolen'. Then we started texting more often, a conversation that would start at four in the afternoon would often end late at night when my eyes were becoming heavy and my replies short. We could talk for hours and not get bored and every time we did I felt myself falling for him more and more which lead to a huge fear.

I liked him but I didn't want to. I didn't want to start liking and then find out he only liked me as a friend and was not interested in me for whatever reason. Of course I had reason to think he liked me back; his excessive flirting being one but I still had that doubt in the back of my mind. That sort of stuff just didn't happen to me and I was honestly scared that I was getting in way over my head. What did Dane even see in a girl like me? I was no Serena with the amazing body and I was no Shay with the most beautiful face I was just...Alex. That girl people see but don't notice. I wasn't ugly but I certainly wasn't very much attractive. I mean, I stood 5'8 with a slim frame with a wild huge bush of frizzy black hair, almond shaped dark brown eyes a button nose and a set of full lips (which are admittedly my favourite feature). Honestly I wasn't bad but certainly not all that.

"Bzzzzzzz." Went my phone under my pillow. I rubbed my eyes then picked it up to find the screen alight with Dane's name on it. He was calling me. Okay fine; except it was 3:00AM in the morning!

"Hello?" I groaned half asleep as I answered the phone. Dane rustled on the other end then spoke.

"Sorry for waking you." He began. "I can't sleep...I wanted to talk to you but this is a bad idea, I really shouldn't have woken you up...I'm sorry Alexandria." He continued with a strange panic in his voice. I sighed then rubbed my eye again and sat up straight on my bed.

"It's okay...even if you hang up I won't be able to get back to sleep...plus it's kinda nice that you thought about me at three in the morning." I replied whispering, feeling myself grin. Dane chuckled and I heard him rustle again.

"I think about you all the time." He answered with a softer tone, his deep voice sounding velvety under the blanket of tiredness it had over it. Gosh, he was so cute.

"You've known me for like three weeks; surely I can't have had that much of an impact in such short time." I said placing my hand on one of my hot cheeks.

"I know a good person when I see one." He said in the same tone he used before. I smiled then decided to change the subject. Flirting was already something that was very new to me; doing it a three in the morning would not be a good idea.

"How come you can't sleep?" I asked pulling the duvet up.

"Insomnia." He replied softly. "Had it for years."

"Oh my...you have insomnia?" I inquired feeling a huge amount of sympathy for him.

"Yeah...kinda sucks but you get used it after a while...sometimes I sleep sometimes I stay awake for three days straight but I guess it just means I have more time to think about you." He replied in a whisper that with his velvet voice sounded almost...seductive.

"Stop it...if you give me butterflies at this time I'll throw up all over my bed." I said giggling as I felt my stomach begin to go funny. He really did have a huge effect on me.

"I give you butterflies?" He asked obviously sounding amused.

Oh shit!

"...Maybe." I replied after a while, squeezing my eyes shut. Why did I have to open my big mouth? Now he'd definitely know I liked him. Gosh, what if I was scaring him away? Was I coming on too strong?

"Well." He said with a small chuckle. "I would tell you what you give me but then I'm afraid you may hang up."

Guuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrllll!

"Dane!" I squealed almost too loudly. I quickly whipped my head to my door to see if I had awoken my mother but the house remained silent. How could he be so forward? Like when he just touched my hair and randomly started flirting, he was such a forward guy and it was so weird to me because I honestly wasn't used to it. I always knew what he was thinking because he just said and the majority of the time it left me blushing inwardly like some sort of maniac, I swear if I was any lighter I'd look like a baboon after all our conversations.

"You do make me feel a special sort of way Alexandria...not just boners in case you're thinking I'm a prick...I shouldn't have said that...sorry." He said with that same panic returning in his voice. I giggled again.

How adorable!

"Dane..."

"Yes?"

"Are you being serious...because...it sounds like you like me and like...I'm confused?" I blurted instantly regretting it. Dane paused for a moment and I felt my heart go crazy in my chest.

You messed up b...

"Alexandria...I very much do like you." He said softly after a while. "You're the best person I've met in a very long time."

"Oh..." Was all I managed to say.