Chapter 21

Meridian POV
I wake early, before Malachi, and climb quietly from the bed. Slipping on my robe, I head downstairs to make some coffee when I hear a scratching noise coming from the back door. Shrugging it off, I continue getting the coffee pot set up, when I hear the noise again. Sighing, I head towards the back.
"Isaah, if that's your attempt at scaring me, you're going to have to try harder. The only thing scary about you is your manners."
I wait, but hear nothing but silence in response. I'm about to head back to the kitchen when I hear footsteps on the back porch. I stomp toward the door, flinging it open to find...nothing.
I look around, starting to feel nervous, before turning back toward the house. Suddenly, something slips over my head, shrouding me in darkness as I feel a sharp sting in the base of my neck. I try to fight but my body feels weak, and in seconds I collapse as the world goes black.

‐‐----‐-‐‐----‐--------------------------------------------------

I wake up, shivering, my head still covered and my body strapped to a chair. Groaning, I try moving my limbs, but meet resistance. After what seems like hours, I hear footsteps approaching before the cover is ripped from my head. Wincing from the sunlight that peaks through a dirty window above me, I blink to focus my vision. Standing next to me with a smirk on his face is Scott, Isaah's friend, and the kid I'd dragged from my house the day of the party.
"Ah, the bitch is awake. I hope you're comfortable, your highness. Can I get you anything? Food, water, a decent personality?"
He leans in, gripping my chin as he speaks, and I spit into his face.
"Fuck you, Scott. What do you think you're doing? All of this effort because I embarrassed you at the party?"
Scott laughs then, a deep rumbling laugh, like I've cracked the world's funniest joke.
"You dumb bitch," he says, still laughing, "you think this is about something so trivial?" He stops laughing, his face transforming into one of pure hatred.
"We've watched you for years, pretending to be the perfect leader, acting like you're better than the rest of us." Gripping my hair, he yanks my head back, making me hiss from the burning in my scalp.
"You wanna know the saddest part of all this? You don't have an ounce of Alpha blood in your body, yet you still think youre worthy of leading our pack."
He begins to walk back toward the door when I call out to him.
"No, what's sad is the fact that you think you can keep me here. Everyone in the pack knows me, and my routines, and I have a mate, a husband, now. You must be dumber than I thought if you believe they won't come for me!"
Approaching swiftly, he grips my neck, squeezing tightly as he snarls in my ear.
"I'm fucking counting on it," he growls, before punching me hard enough to knock me unconscious.