Chapter 4

Malachi POV
I step into the shower, sighing as the warm water loosens the knots in my shoulders, helping ease some of my tension. I woke this morning, and smelled the sweetest scent of honey and coconut, and couldn't deny the intense urge to follow it.
My brother gripped my arm harshly,  telling me I was acting like an idiot, and threatened that if I left then I couldn't come back. I don't know what it was, but a voice inside kept telling me that I needed to follow that scent, and when I reached the two-story white home, I felt a sense of peace that I havent felt in years. When the door opened, I met a beautiful pair of blue eyes, and the scent was so strong. I could see she had guests, and immediately felt guilty for interrupting, but she allowed me inside with no hesitation. Her friends eyed me suspiciously, and I thought nothing of it until the man next to me started asking about me. I'm not exactly proud of the fact that I'm homeless, and I think Meridian picked up on that, and when they continued, she suddenly growled, catching me off guard. Once she stood and turned towards her friends, I couldn't see her face, but everyone at the table seemed to shrink in size, cowering away from her. I had to keep from laughing as she dragged the guy out by his hair like a juvenile, and then she ordered everyone to leave. I could practically feel the anger radiating off of her. Fortunately, her brother didn't share their apparent dislike for me, and gave me a friendly handshake, inviting me to stick around a bit. As I wash my body, I'm reminded of that spark I felt when Meridian and I touched, and I can't help but smile. Finishing up, I dry off and dress, walking out as I run the towel over my wet hair.  Meridian is laying on her bed reading, and sits up as i enter her room. I swear her eyes seem to flash with a tinge of yellow for a moment when she sees me, but i shake the thought, sitting next to her.
"Thank you for that. I can't remember the last time I got to have a proper bath."
"My pleasure. Would you be willing to tell me more about yourself? Why are you living out in the woods?"
I dreaded this conversation, but she's been so kind, I can't help but tell her the truth.
"I can barely remember my parents. I was so young when my brother and I left home, and started living out there. My brother always told me that my parents were weak, and so was everyone else, and wouldn't allow me to speak to anyone. Once, he caught me talking to a little boy and didn't feed me for two weeks. Anytime I tried to learn to hunt and feed myself, he would tell me I was worthless and couldn't do anything without his help. When I left today, he said that if I left I could never come back. So, I don't really have anywhere else to go." She looks at me sadly, placing her hand over mine. The tingling sensation is stronger now, shooting up my arm, and I can tell she feels it too.
She suddenly grins at me, and says, "I know what we can do! Let's watch a movie!" I have no idea what that means but can't refuse when she's smiling like that. She picks out something and settles back against the top of her bed, waving her hand for me to join her. I slide next to her, and stiffen in surprise when she lays her head against me, before I feel myself relax, and wrap an arm across her shoulders. I swear I hear a purring type noise come from her for a moment, as we settle in to watch the movie.