Chapter 3

I lead Malachi toward the dining room, and everyone stops talking to stare as we enter.
"Guys, this is Malachi. He's going to hang out for a while, so be nice!" I look pointedly at my brother, who shrugs innocently with a smirk, before digging back into his food. I grab an extra chair, rolling my eyes as Joseph leaps up to help me, like I don't have inhuman strength. He goes to put it on the other end, when I stop him, instructing him to put the chair next to mine. He grumbles, scooting his chair away to make room for Malachi, and we all sit.
"So, Mal, where do you live?" I see Malachi frown at the nickname,  and he scratches his neck nervously.
"Um, I live in the woods across from here." He glances at me and I smile at him, but my smile drops as Joseph continues to hound him.
"I've been in those woods thousands of times, and I've never seen a house." Everyone stops eating to stare at Malachi expectantly, which makes him blush. I'm about to tell Jo to drop it, when Malachi mumbles, "I don't live in a house. I sleep on the ground wherever I can."
The table remains quiet and I silently fume, glaring at Jo, who doesn't look even a little remorseful. Suddenly, Devin, one of my brother's friends mutters, "That explains the smell." Malachi blushes, and goes to stand when I release a threatening growl. Humans shouldn't be able to hear it, but his eyes widen and i hear his sharp intake of breath. "Come on, Mer, he isn't wrong. Its kind of overpowering," Joseph says, and i feel my wolf take over. Standing I stomp to Devin who cowers in his chair, and grab him by his hair, hauling him to the door. Once he is out, I turn to the rest of the guests, my eyes now solid gold, and my canines begin to grow.
"I invited Malachi to eat with us, and you mock him. To disrespect my guest, is to disrespect me. Now, get out, all of you." Everyone but Jo and my brother scurry toward the door. "I said everyone!" I shout pointedly glaring at Joseph, who frowns, shooting a glare at Malachi before leaving. My brother laughs, continuing to stuff his face as I groan, sitting and dropping my head in my hands.
"I'm so sorry about them. Please, stay and eat with my brother and I." He gives a weak smile, nodding, and i fill a plate for him. I can't help but gawk as he inhales his food at an alarming speed.
"Uh, did you taste any of that?" I tease, making him blush.
"Sorry, I haven't eaten in a while." I frown at that, and nod, making sure he eats as much as he wants. My brother finishes and walks by, shaking hands with Malachi.
"Nice to meet you, man. Our pack-er, our friends aren't bad people,  they're just set in their ways. Feel free to stick around so you can get cleaned up," he says, looking at me, and I nod in thanks. He leaves us alone at the table. "Come with me," I say, gripping his hand and ignoring the sparks shooting up my fingers.
I lead him upstairs, stopping by Isaah's room to borrow some clothes, then I lead him through my room to the bathroom.
"Here's some clothes,  and I put some plain soap in there so you don't have to smell like a girl." He chuckles, giving me a gentle smile.
"Thank you for everything." I just nod, smiling back, before I turn to leave. "Take your time, and we'll talk when you're ready." I pull the door closed behind me, and flop down on my bed to wait.