Afterglow [chapter 3]

The morning came in with a kick. The light streaming in through the cracks in the curtains formed parallel lines on the floor. Had I really been here all night? I thought as I gained the strength to come to my knees. Was it just a dream or was the guy in the alley real? I held my head in my hands and closed my eyes, what was happening? This guy was getting into every inch of my brain.

I had a shower and got in a floral print sundress and some black ballet flats. I straightened my long blonde hair that went down to my belly button and fixed my fringe. My baby blue eyes shone bright today but didn't at all represent my mood and what I was feeling inside.

I stood in front of my mirror touching up my already perfect hair and makeup. My face expressionless.

There came a knock from the door. My face gained emotion at the thought of it possibly being Beau, coming back with my sanity. I raced to the door before he could have a chance to run away.

I turned the knob and pulled the door open. My face returned expressionless when I came to realization that it wasn't him.

"Cass, baby, you gonna let me in?"

It was trace, my ex-boyfriend.

"What are you doing here trace?" I said annoyed and tiredly.

"I've come to get my stuff back" he put his foot in the door so I couldn't close it.

I stood strong and made it clear I wasn't going to let him in.

"Look babe, I didn't mean what I said last night, you know I love you" he pleaded, but I could tell it in his eyes he didn't mean it.

"You don't have any stuff here" I protested, even though he had.

"Babe, don't be so stubborn, I get it if you don't want to be with me after what I did but at least have the decency to let me get my stuff"

"Don't spoil my day trace, pick them up another time"

"What is wrong with you" He yelled at me, "Why are you such a bitch!"

"Why are you such a jerk?" I combacked.

"Fine, keep them, it'll make you realize you need me baby"

"Don't call me that" I complained.

He made an aggressive face and walked away.

A sigh of relief swept over me and he went out of view.

The party last night was awful; thank goodness I met Beau to get my mind off it. The party felt like so long ago and I already felt over trace. If only he'll disappear, I feel halfway there.

I walked back into the same old lounge room that was always there and fell onto the couch. I put one hand on my forehead and my legs on the armrests.  I leaned my head over to the right to face the TV. It was off.  My eyes drifted down to the coffee table where I spied a folded piece of paper that wasn't there before. This immediately grabbed my attention and I sat up on the couch. I grabbed the note. The paper was thick with quality and the writing was written in calligraphy. I read it in my head.

You know, you only unlocked your dreams from the trunk to sink them back down to the bottom of the sea for him.   -Beau

It was from Beau, My heart began to warm. Was he talking about Trace? Had he been listening on my conversation or had he already known my past? How did he know me? I felt an invasion of privacy and it made my stomach sick. I didn't know what was happening. I needed to speak with Beau urgently.

I folded up the letter and put it in my pocket. I got up, grabbed my bag, which I hadn't touched since I put it down last night and headed out. The summer was warm on my skin and I could instantly feel my legs tanning.