afterglow [chapter 2]

By the time I reached my front door the adrenaline from my strange encounter had worn off. My heart started beating back in sync with my breathing although my emotions were well stirred and his voice still rang like church bell in my head.

I opened my door to my apartment and with no real surprise my roommate lizzie wasn't home. I decided the best way to unwind was to watch some T.V. I chucked my boots off and placed them near the door and my bag on the hatstand. I commenced into the lounge room.

The beautifully furnished house felt like home. Its surroundings always seemed to comfort me in my time of need. The burgundy walls protracting a warm vibe that smoothly went in with the creamy white couches and coffee table. The gold framed pictures hung from the wall perfectly straight with obedience.

I flicked the switch on the TV then stumbled into the kitchen in search of a midnight snack. The cool tiled floor felt nice compared to the plain floor boards of the lounge room.

I turned the lights on and walked over to the fridge. Lizzie hadn't been home in a while so maybe there might be some food left. But no, there was only a carton of milk sitting lonely on the top self. From the smell of it, it was off and needed to be chucked away.  I slammed the door in frustration but suddenly froze when I looked up.

There was a man standing in my kitchen! How long had he been there? I studied him closely, he was tall slim and hot. There was no doubt that this was the guy from the alley. He was leaning against the white bench top with the other hand casually in his pocket, and his legs crossed at the ankles. Looking at me...looking at him. I instantly blushed.

"You're the man from the alley" I stated, still a little cautious of him from the whacked out speech.

 "My name is beau" he said politely not reacting to the fact that I was gawking at him with my mouth wide open.

"I'm sorry" he continued, "I never got to tell you my name in the alley, and you asked nicely".

I wiggled my toes in awkwardness and fiddled with the fridge handle.

"What do you want from me" I asked in a softer tone but that was still demanding.

"You amaze me" he replied.

"You stand out from the others like a diamond in a sea of coal"

'Cliché' I thought but I didn't dare say it.

"You're not from around here are you?" I asked.

"That depends if you ever find a home and not just a residence at which you reside in"

His poetic replies were beginning to make me anxious.

"Why did you come into my house" I kept questioning him.

"I want to get to know you, You spin my head like a pirouette".

"Well no offence but this is a creepy way of doing it" I said trying to lighten the intense mood with a different tone of voice.

He stared into my eyes, it made me even more awkward and I felt like I was going to fall over. He looked deeper and deeper into my eyes like he was trying to see my soul. I shifted uncomfortably and broke eye contact with him. I stared at the floor not wanting to meet his gaze.

"I'm sorry if I'm making you feel uncomfortable" he said with a smirk. I smiled to show my discomfort and he caught on.

"I'm going to go" he said prolonging the last sound.

I nodded quickly which instantly made the mood go awkward again I hated all this awkwardness, I wish it'll all just go away and I could talk to him like everyone else. If only he didn't talk in a lyric vocabulary and making speechless conversations.

"Goodbye" he said.

He turned to go, my heart was thumping loudly, and didn't I want him to go? I wished that he would just turn around and stay the night. My heart started to sink as he stood up straight and left the kitchen, turning his back on me. I could hear the door open, and then slam behind him. My mood dropped and I felt bored. What was I going to do now? I sighed and walked out to the lounge room.

I felt tired and I dragged my feet, I could feel the unpolished floor boards under my feet. I looked up and to my surprise he was still here. This new energy arose in me I felt alive. Beau was leaning against the wall, the light from the lampshade complimenting his facial muscles making him look irresistibly sexy.  Saying his name bought on a weird sensation. It sent a chill down my spine.

"You're still here" I said the relief in my voice shone through.

My heart was beating hard again, like it was going to come out my chest.

"Little girl" he called me, "I wonder if your heart claps like thunder only when I'm around".

I smiled embarrassingly and he shared the reaction back. We shared a few moments of affection until he turned his head towards the window. His smile stopped and he turned his face into an unimpressionable statue.

"What's wrong?" I asked in concern.

He never moved.

"Beau..." his name lingered in the air; it felt good to say it. I felt the urge to scream it out from the highest rooftop or out in the middle of a storm.  Call me crazy but this guy...Beau fascinated me and I needed to know more.

"I really ought to leave" he spat with fright in his eyes and he turned to face me.

"Is something wrong?"

My question remained unanswered as he bolted out the window. Was that the way he came in? I thought.

I suddenly felt could and alone. Like life itself had left me in out the pouring rain. I curled up on the lounge room floor and hugged my knees in. I felt like I was an over-reacting love-sick teen but he bought the light to the surface of my soul only to push it to the deepest, darkest corner of my heart when he left.