Chapter 42 - The future

"Miss Grey come into my office please.

- Everything all right Mrs. Brown?

- Charles just called me. He told me to tell you he was leaving Saint-Denis. That he had found a certain John. He will write to you as soon as he can.

- John?! You are sure?

- I think so. Are you ok? Sit down Miss Grey, you're very pale."

I let it go, unresponsive when she rushed out of her office to get me a glass of water. John. John was alive. And Charles was with him. He was no longer alone. Tears of joy rolled down my cheeks.

During the week that followed, I turned around, hoping to quickly receive an explanation of all these mysteries. I was a real pile, my friends didn't recognize me anymore. I wasn't concentrating on any of our conversations, I was distracted at my work. I came home impatiently every night, only to find, disappointed, that nothing had arrived.

I waited, I waited, but nothing happened. I was beginning to believe Mrs. Brown had been dreaming. Or worse, that something had happened to them. After all, the Pinkerton were probably still looking for them.

Then finally, a letter arrived on the desk of the landlady. It looked like any invoice. But inside, the most precious of papers. Charles's handwriting. With trembling hands, I unfolded the sheet.

"Anna,

I'm sorry I took so long, but things have been intense these past few days. As you probably know, I left this city you hated so much with John and Uncle. I still don't quite understand how these two got together. Abigail left him, she couldn't bear to see him go back to his past habits.

So, John bought himself a ranch to bring her back. Well, ranch is a big word. An arid land on which rests a ruined shed. Uncle says he has better nightmares, and he's kinda right. So, John bought one of these kit houses, we're going to start building it. By we, I mean John and I. Uncle has lumbago, you know.

This ranch is called Beecher's Hope. A predestined name, one must believe. I can't believe I'm here where everything went wrong 8 years ago. Where I burned my hand and Dutch started to derail. Life is strange sometimes.

Here, John hopes to find redemption in Abigail's eyes. And I, well, as always, I'm trying to find a reason for my presence on earth. I guess, by helping you, and now helping John, that I'm trying to get a bit of sense out of it.

I received your picture, Doctor Grey. I'm proud of you. Please, be happy. Don't look to the past. That's all I want.

Your faithful friend."

I went through all the emotions. I laughed imagining them, I cried knowing them all alive. I laughed at the mention of Uncle and his famous "lumbago". He always found an excuse to dawdle, he was sure to drive them crazy. But deep down, he wasn't a bad guy. I sincerely hoped that Abigail would be back soon. John was an idiot, but he sincerely loved her.

Charles had purposely hidden the names of the towns, his own, to protect us both. But from the clues he left, I understood he was in Blackwater. I didn't know how to react to this information. I was happy for John, of course. But I wondered if it was reasonable to go back to that place where a target had been put on their backs.

His letter put balm on my heart. I was going to listen to him. I wouldn't look to the past. I knew what I had to do. Adjusting my hat, I set off to university. I had a date with my future.

---

A cloud of dust greeted me when I got off the coach. Holding my hat, I took a first look at the city. The excitement was palpable. Everywhere, workers, hammer blows, buildings rising. An ageless but well overweight man came to meet me. Shaking my hand energetically, he introduced himself as Mayor Lawrence.

Under the strong summer sun, he led me through the streets. The building sites appeared on every block, each breeze carrying with it the particles of dust released by this effervescence. The whole town was getting ready for the train's arrival.

"With such expansion, we could hardly do without a doctor. You will be well received, you'll see."

We walked past what would soon be the town's main square. So far, only the Town Hall was finished, with the bank not far behind. In front of it, only the foundations of another official building had been laid. In the center, we could guess the location of future green spaces, statues, and other decorations.

Cafés, theaters, cinema and even a photographer jostled in the wide main street. Many small businesses followed one after the other. And stuck in the middle of those commercial rows, my cabinet. Installed on one level, its facade was quite charming. The interior was well thought out. Behind the large windows was the waiting room as well as an area where I could sell medicines. A brand-new examination room awaited only the sick people. Finally, a room that could serve as an office or a rest room. I could never have dreamed of better.

The mayor then accompanied me to the town stables. I needed a horse to see my patients outside of town. I approached a mare at the back of the building. The owner of the place warned me, she had bad temper and could hardly accept being harnessed. I smile, stroking the beast's neck. It reminded me of the one I had left to Ehawee many years ago.

"It will be fine. I've my way with horses."

Back in the street, the mayor suggested that I go to my room to rest before meeting him for dinner. But I had other plans in mind. I asked him if I could go for a horse ride. I thought I saw beautiful scenery through the window of the stagecoach and wanted to stretch my legs. He seemed to hesitate.

"I should find someone to accompany you, there is a rather dangerous gang hanging around.

- Don't bother, I'm not going far away. Don't worry, I grew up in the wild west."

He finally gave in. Without taking the time to change, I got into the saddle. I ride up to the church at the entrance to town. From there, there was a breathtaking view of the city and the lake that bordered it. The boats sailed quietly on the waves. The large expanse of water brought a pleasant breeze that caressed my face. After a moment of contemplation, I asked my way to a passerby. Following his directions, I launched my mare at full speed. I felt intoxicated by this long-forgotten feeling.

I couldn't believe I was here instead of Chicago, leading a tidy life. I told Marc that I was only going away for a few months, that I wanted to go on an adventure in the West. I pretended to want to see if I could fend for myself, without his help or the one of Doctor Daring. That it was only for a few weeks or months, before I returned to the Windy City for good. Once again, he was extremely understanding. I didn't deserve such a man, but he seemed to think otherwise. I still thought of marrying him, but I had to be sure.

And for that, I had to check something.