Chapter 22

I woke up with a sudden start the next morning, only to realize that the spot beside me was cold and empty. Jordan was gone, I felt a pang of disappointment as my eyes roamed the room and I still found no sign of him. Getting up and wiping the sleep from my eyes I made my way to the bathroom, where I took my time to freshen up. I was pleased to see a brand new tooth brush, still covered in its protective wrapping and a tube of tooth paste placed neatly on the bathroom counter. I also spotted a pile of neatly folded clothes placed in the wicker basket. I pulled the clothes out and inspected them. A grey tank top, some matching underwear and a dark washed pair of denim jeans, I was surprised that he even had time to go shopping. After I finished washing up and deemed my appearance more or less presentable I proceeded to get dressed, the clothes fit me perfectly and I wondered how he knew my size before I remembered that he was a spy that practically knew my whole life story. I suppose getting my top size was easy enough. I took a few deep breaths before I left the bathroom, last night I was in a haze of anger and confusion but feeling a bit more sober this morning I couldn't help the feeling of embarrassment that crept up my chest at the thought of everything that happened. The way I reacted, the "kiss" and above all the way I felt when he put my hand on his chest asking me to trust him.

My emotions where still all over the place but I still tried to gain some composure when I walked into the kitchen to find Jordan with his back faced towards me flipping pancakes on the stove.

He greeted me with his back still faced towards me and I wondered how he knew I was standing there, I wasn't making any noise.

"How did you sleep?" he asked suddenly and I tried to give an honest response.

"Fine," I replied not knowing what else to say.

He nodded his head and turned around to face me, I was hyper aware of the way his eyes trailed up and down my body before he returned to his cooking.

"The clothes fit you well." He said nonchalantly while dishing out the pancakes and pouring syrup on one batch.

"Yeah, how did you know my exact size?" I asked still a bit curious.

He turned around and pulled out a seat by the table opposite me before placing a plate of blue berry pancakes and a cup of orange juice in front of me.

"When you were sleeping I took a peek of the labels on your clothes, thought you wouldn't like to spend more time in my sweats and I decided to get you a change of clothes...do you like them?"

"Yeah, they're perfect thanks." He shook his head in acknowledgement.

I took a bite out of my pancake even though I really had no appetite, regardless of the strange circumstances we were in I still had the mind to note that A: Jordan Blake, I mean Altimirano cooked for me and B: We spent a night in a motel room together, granted there was no kinky business but it was still a major deal. At least for me it was.

"These pancakes are good." I complimented him after we were done with breakfast and I stood up to put my dishes in the sink the same time as he did and we kind of had a mini collision which gave me a sense of Déjà vu of the first time we actually spoke. I put my plate down and so did he; our bodies were so close we were practically touching. I could feel the warmth radiate of him as I looked up into his eyes. I stood there just being breathless for a little while before I managed to speak.

"Thank you for staying with me last night, thank you for everything." I managed to whisper.

"You don't have to thank me." He said tucking a stray lock of hair behind my ear. The movement forced me to look up at his face and once again I was mesmerized by his eyes and the intensity they possessed. I just couldn't look away and when he cupped the right side of my face with his large hand I just couldn't help but lean into his warmth. The moment was so intense that you could cut the sexual tension in the room with a knife. It was at that moment that I realized regardless of everything that's happened and the million reasons I try to convince myself that we shouldn't be together, there was an undeniable chemistry between us and it was impossible to ignore.

Suddenly he's phone went off and the spell was broken, the moment sizzling out as fast as it began. I rubbed my face and took a few steps back as he answered his phone. For a split second the thought that it could be Dario calling quickly crossed my mind, but that thought was quickly dismissed when I saw the way Jordan was frowning as he looked at the caller ID on the screen. He answered the phone in a quick curt manner, obviously not interested on speaking to the caller.

"Yes", he said briskly while holding up the phone to his ear. The person on the other end spoke and immediately Jordan's eyes focused on me.

"Yes she is with me", he said and I was listening to one sided conversation intently.

"Okay" he said while walking up to me and handing over the cell.

"It's for you" he said plainly showing no sign of emotion.

"Hello...?" I called out holding the phone up against my ear.

"Aria!" I heard a familiar voice shout out through the receiver.

"Randy...?" I gasped, he was literally the last person I was expecting to hear from today.

"What's wrong?" I asked worry beginning to grip me; he only ever called me by my full first name when he was really mad.

"Where are you, I've been calling and calling all night I was so worried?" he said his voice sounding harsh and pained.

"I'm sorry" I whispered "I don't have my phone one me" I said while simultaneously remembering that I must have left it at the gym last night amongst all the commotion.

"Well, where are you?" he inquired.

"I-I don't know...some hotel?" I stuttered looking around the room anxiously.

"You spent the night in a hotel with Jordan?" he asked.

Well isn't that the question of the century, I thought to myself.

"Yes, I mean no. Ahhhh it's complicated okay." I said feeling guiltier than ever.

"What?" -He asked confused-"Never mind we'll talk about this later...something's happened."

"What, what is it?" I asked the panic slowly starting to set in. From across the table Jordan was watching me intently, observing.

"It's Max, he's in the I.C.U, it's really bad Aria I'm worried."

"What, how?" I asked my heart rate picking up pace.

"Sister Mary said she tried contacting you earlier but she couldn't reach you so she got a hold of Maddy. We're all here at Santa Maria hospital."

" O-o-ok, ok. I'm coming. I'll be there. Keep me posted please."

"Yes, I will but he's asking for you so please hurry." He hung up and my heart clenched as the tears started to form, but I wiped them away furiously. Demanding myself not to cry, Lord knows I am sick to death of my useless tears.

"I need to get to Santa Maria hospital." I said look at the floor but directing my statement to Jordan. He nodded in understanding, and with that we both left the room and made our way to the motel parking lot where Jordan's black S.U.V was waiting. The short ride to the hospital was laced in silence. I silently prayed for Maxi's health and recovery. Even though I was anything but a devout Christian I found that in times like these there was really no one else to turn to and I hoped that what Izzy always said was true. That God listens to everyone's prayers. Even people like me.